Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing out my network settings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wstreckfus

wstreckfus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hey there,

This is a lesson on "when it's working fine don't mess with it". My Linksys router was working working fine when my wife asked if I could change the name (SSID) for the router. She didn't like all the numbers. They confused her. She wanted a cute name like the neighbors. Anyway I finally figured out how to get into the set up screens and change the name, but I screwed up. Instead of just changing the name I hit the Reset Security button. I believe this changed the encryption key. Now I can't figure out how to print out the My Network Settings that I printed out when I first set this router up years ago.

I called Linksys and they wanted $40 to reset my whole system. I figured there's got to be an easier way.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Depending on how many computers you have connected to the system, it might be easier to simply do a hard reset of the system and start over from scratch, if you only have one or two computers connected wirelessly. This can be done by locating the reset button, and using a pin to press the button for about five seconds. That will wipe all your settings and return the unit to factory defaults.

That being said, if the problem is that your wireless devices are unable to connect, you should be able to access the configuration menus by connecting a computer to the router with Ethernet cable and edit the settings as needed. The settings can usually be printed by printing out the summary page, but this requires being able to access the configuration pages of the router.

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 31 January 2009 - 07:30 PM.

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 wstreckfus

wstreckfus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thank you very much. I was able to find the Encryption Key on the Setting page. I kept looking for the word Encryption, but it's called the WPA Share Key. I think that's what confused me.

Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users