Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static Electricity + Safety

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hello Everyone, :thumbsup:

This is my first post after looking around for a fair while round the site. It looks like you have an excellent community here and one that I would like to be apart of. I hope I can help some users along the way too.

Anyway, onto my question. This is my first computer build. Although I have spent many years installing and configuring Windows. I've never had the "need" to build a PC but think it's about time now I started.

My main problem is space in the house to do so. The place I intend to build my PC is in my bedroom which comes with some problems.

I'd just like any advice you can give me regarding static electricity. I've read a fair few pointers although my situation is probably more problematic than others.

In my bedroom I have a Nylon carpet which is unlikely to be removed for sometime. As it would mean moving everything out of my room which is a huge task (and somethings will probably break when moved.)

With this in mind what would you recommend for surface and precautions to take when handling hardware?

At the moment I'm planning on getting a wooden table and anti-static strap. Would you recommend an anti-static mat? Would this need to cover most if not all of the carpet? How could I bring new "items" in and place them on the wooden table?

Hope that makes sense. Any advice and experience you can give will be most welcome.

Thank you again,

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would not worry about static electricity...as long as I remember to ground myself by touching the computer housing or the PSU.

I have one of my computers in the bedroom, on the floor, with case cover off. No mishaps of any sort to date.

I bought an anti-static wrist strap a long time ago and stopped using it the moment I realized that all I needed to do was touch the PSU.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

I agree with Louis. I used one once and lost the strap and never bought another
As long as you don't shuffle back and forth on the carpet, wearing fuzzy bunny slippers, You'll be fine :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

Hello there,

Many thanks for both your replies. :huh:

I have had "crackling" when plugging in USB devices etc on my PC on the floor. I have since put it on a piece of wood and that seems to have done the trick.

I'm just concerned really not for myself but for other peoples devices that I handle. So thanks for your advice.

Mainly I don't want to make any expensive mistakes.

I know I can be a bit paranoid at times. It's just I like to do things properly.

I'd just like to ask is there anything safety wise I should be worried about? I guess my main concern is the PSU and getting a shock. Obviously I won't be opening the PSU up. :thumbsup: I'm a little nervous as this is something a little new to me. Although once I've done it the first time I know I will be more relaxed.

Thanks for your help so far. I hope I can return it someday. :huh:

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

I have had "crackling" when plugging in USB devices

That's not necessarily static. USB connections are 5 volt.
Having the computer on the floor, there's a good chance for dust build up in the connection plug. When you go to plug something in, it's possible for a spark to jump
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

While you don't need to go out and get special equipment to ground yourself, caution is indeed called for. I fried a $200 MB once with a little zap from my finger. Not fun!

#7 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

I have had "crackling" when plugging in USB devices

That's not necessarily static. USB connections are 5 volt.
Having the computer on the floor, there's a good chance for dust build up in the connection plug. When you go to plug something in, it's possible for a spark to jump

I see, I do have a cover on it when not in use to prevent dust build up, but it still could be the case as you say. :thumbsup:

While you don't need to go out and get special equipment to ground yourself, caution is indeed called for. I fried a $200 MB once with a little zap from my finger. Not fun!

So providing I follow the above I should be ok? I'm not too bothered about items that are cheap but certainly when it comes to 100's I want to be sure nothing happens to them. :huh:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Living in the wonderful humidity of South TX, static isn't something you normally worry about, but I did fry a piece of RAM one time due to carelessness during the winter (evil carpet). Ground yourself to the case, just touch it before you install anything to eliminate the potential between yourself and the components. I had a ground strap and long since lost it but have had no repeat component deaths after a decade+ of builds. Common sense when you are working/building it will usually suffice.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

Living in the wonderful humidity of South TX, static isn't something you normally worry about, but I did fry a piece of RAM one time due to carelessness during the winter (evil carpet). Ground yourself to the case, just touch it before you install anything to eliminate the potential between yourself and the components. I had a ground strap and long since lost it but have had no repeat component deaths after a decade+ of builds. Common sense when you are working/building it will usually suffice.

Well, living in the UK...summer, what summer? That's usually the case. :thumbsup:

Anyway thanks for everyones advice. I'm more reassured now. :huh:

Looking forward to building my first PC. Wish I had started sooner really but nevermind. :huh:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:31 AM

as long as you touch the metal on the case to ground yourself and dont move while you build it you should be fine, also being barefoot couldnt hurt and if theres say a metal heating grate or something on the floor you can put your foot on it couldnt hurt. Just make sure you ground yourself on the case every time you move and your fine. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

Hello,

Sorry for my delay in reply. I didn't get notified of a new post. I'll have to look at my settings, it's happened on a few posts (I've made sure email notification is checked.)

Thanks for everyones advice. Will start building soon once I've got a table to work on. Really appreciate all the help.

Hope to chat to you all round the forums. I shall be away for a few days. Moving my current PC into a new case.

Bye for now. :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users