Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 itbookham

itbookham

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

I am working on a Pavilion dv8000 laptop, which was heavily infected with viruses, trojans et al. I removed the hard drive and inserted it into a 2.5" enclosure and carried out a number of scans using different anti-virus/malware programs. My problem arose when I reinstalled the hard drive in the laptop. I was carrying out a final anti-virus scan when the computer automatically switched itself off halfway through the scan. I powered the laptop back on and checked the power management settings and set them to not power down.

I then rescanned the hard drive and after about 20 minutes the system powered down again. HMonitor is showing CPU core temperature peaking very occassionally at 87oC but normally running at around 65-73oC. If it was an overheating problem, then presumably the system would not power up again after shutting down? But the system does power up again after shutting down. Does anyone have any other possible explanation to this conundrum. It is presently powered from the mains and the battery is showing 100% charge.

Many thanks,
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

Go into your system folder in the Control panel and go to advanced then start up and recovery. And uncheck automatically restart under system failure. See if you get a BSOD when the computer fails again.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users