Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows splash to black screen now blue screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thatguy418

thatguy418

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2600 with XP Professional. The laptop was given to me used, no original cd's or anything, just the machine and power cord, just letting you know that right off the bat as I don't have option to put cd in as I don't have it. The laptop has a XP sticker on it that doesn't state if it was home or Professional to start with. I say all this because I can't tell you if the OS was preinstalled or after market installation. IN case this matters any. I am not knowledgeable about computers without the aid or forums like this, so please know that when offering aid I'll need specifics please.

Recently, my system malfunctioned and YourHighness helped me get it cleaned up. It was working fine for a few days. All of a sudden the Windows Splash screen disappeared and the screen went black. After multiple reboots and selecting Function/F8 eventually the computer would go to a grey screen and then would finish booting fine. This went on for a week or two. Meanwhile, as YourHighness suggested, I bought more RAM as it only had 256MB. I read it can go up to a gig, so I bought (used from eBay) a 512 and installed it. Booted fine (after the black screen issue still) and worked fine. A couple of days later I went to boot it back up and got a blue screen saying "Stop: C0000221 Bad Image CheckSum. The Image MSAN1.dll is possibly corrupt. The Header Checksum does not match the computed checksum". I can not boot to safe or any other option. I can only access bios and am clueless what to do once there if anything. I tried recovery counsel booting but it just refreshes the options screen, essentially it only recognizes the XP option. I removed the RAM in case it was causing the problem. Tried to boot with just a 128 and also with 2 128's. Still got same blue screen.

I don't know what to do from here. Do I need to take it to a repair shop or can someone guide me through some options? Please advise.

Most appreciatively,

Thatguy418

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

I would think that your first priority, assuming that your data is safe, is to obtain a means of reinstalling/repairing XP. I mean, that would be my first priority if I intended to run a system with XP on it and I did not believe that the system would run perfectly until I decided to retire/sell/junk it.

So my first suggestion would have been...contact Dell and inquire about recovery/restore CDs for your system.

As for your apparent option of taking it to a shop...that won't resolve the fact that you have no install disks of any type.

I've not ever seen an XP sticker that doesn't indicate which flavor of the O/S is installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users