Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safest version of Firefox for vista?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alienuser

alienuser

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

http://blog.trendmicro.com/vulnerability-f...-in-firefox-30/

Just givin everyone a heads up, dunno if its been patched or anything yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

http://blog.trendmicro.com/vulnerability-f...-in-firefox-30/

Just givin everyone a heads up, dunno if its been patched or anything yet.

Recently FF just had an update & the latest version is 3.0.5. Do you know if this resolved the issue?

Also, the article is not really clear on exactly what the thread is? More info would be appreciated, if you have it.

Thanx,
=SubMariner=

#3 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

Unfortunately, since the article does not specify what the vulnerability is, it is impossible to say whether or not the issue has been fixed. However, the article was released in June, and there have been several releases to fix various issues since.

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 31 January 2009 - 09:48 PM.

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#4 alienuser

alienuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

I hope they fixed it, I am not sure. Just thought I'd post this for people to know just in case :thumbsup:

#5 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Here is a list of known security issues in the current build of Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vuln.../firefox30.html

#6 alienuser

alienuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

Sheesh, I thought firefox was one of the safest browsers. What is the best browser out there security wise?

#7 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

Here is a list of known security issues in the current build of Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vuln.../firefox30.html

Good info, IA. Actually it looks like they have addressed & fixed a number of issues to date (version 3.0.5).

Franky, alienuser, I have been a happy camper since switching to FF. Not only does it seem to have less security & stability issues than IE, but I also like how you can customize it. For example, right now I am using Camifox as my theme with a number of nice add ons like Adblock plus, CS lite, Dictionarysearch, etc.

It WORKS! :thumbsup:
=SubMariner=

#8 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

alienuser, anything is better than IE, Opera generally has less reported vulnerabilities than Firefox, but Firefox practices more full disclosure. I think Firefox is more tested than Opera, and Chrome is so new I wouldn't rely on it just yet as a secure platform.

More and more browsers are moving to a single parser - Safari, Chrome, and IE8 will all use WebKit. The differentiating factor will be more how the different browsers handle scripting and issues from media plugins. Several recent vulnerabilities have attacked Flash Player, RealMedia and Quicktime, rather than the browser itself.

I still lean toward Firefox because they tend to be quick to update critical issues, and the browser has enough of an audience that it gets tested for problems pretty heavily - it is more likely for problems to be discovered, reported and fixed before being exploited in Firefox compared to any other browser, in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users