Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the difference

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

I have always used store bought security for my computer thinking it's better than free. Thinking on that subject I discovered that I don't really know what the difference is. It will most likely vary from brand to brand. Can any body give us all some basic differences; there for am I wasting my money? :thumbsup:

Edited by Layback Bear, 31 January 2009 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

The differences aren't very big. You can get a free Anti-virus (Avira, for example), firewall (comodo), and spyware scanner (Malwarebytes or SUPERantispyware) that work as well, or better, than many paid software.

#3 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

I agree with xblindx. There are some good paid programs out there, but according to recent test results, Avira AntiVir outperformed all of the paid anti-viruses in detection. :D

The only thing with Avira is when it updates, it will popup a message asking you to buy the paid version. No big deal, you just have to click ok. I think that is a small price to pay for their awesome software.

Go Avira AntiVir!
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

Many "Paid" security applications also offer a free version. Reviewing the differences between the two generally shows that both have the same basic functionality, and the "paid" version has more "bells and whistles" or a nicer user interface. Again, many security suites, while they have the benefit of all-in-one ease of use, vary in the quality of each module; it is often a better choice to use several individual applications, each of which is entirely focused on doing one thing.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

Thank all you folks for getting back. There surely is more than that or why do I keep buying the store bought one. May be I'm just slow.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:25 AM

It's all about marketing. Obviously Symantec or McAfee are going to be more aggressive in marketing to get you to buy it. It doesn't mean their products are more effective than free products. You're assuming that.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

Know that not true. I really don't know what the plus and minus are. Advertising might be what has me confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users