Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Magic Jack Tweaks.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheSadness

TheSadness

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

can someone help me, i get irritated everytime i open the computer.
because of MagicJack editing the registry to open it again when the computer startup
i used msconfig to disable it from opening. but when you open the program it opens again and creates another icon at desktop
help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

Do not use MSCONFIG to disable anything. To stop it from starting turn off the service in services under admin tools/services.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
A little complex but it works very well

Did you read the EULA for that thing?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 TheSadness

TheSadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

Do not use MSCONFIG to disable anything. To stop it from starting turn off the service in services under admin tools/services.

Oh. Lol. why shouldn't i? startup programs are not really necessary for the computer to start so why?

#5 TheSadness

TheSadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
A little complex but it works very well

Did you read the EULA for that thing?

i didn't had the chance to read the EULA cause i just immediately installed it to my computer.
btw. is it bad for me to disable it from starting? do i commit a crime there :thumbsup:

erm tried the program. didn't help either.

Edited by TheSadness, 31 January 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#6 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Oh. Lol. why shouldn't i? startup programs are not really necessary for the computer to start so why?

Notes for a Happier Computer and User

* Do not use "msconfig" to disable services, type "services.msc" in the Run box instead!
* Before disabling any service, check out the service information about each by selecting the service name links provided.
* If you do not wish to select/change each service by hand, I offer up Service Registry files to adjust them with only a few clicks. Currently, "Default" and "Safe" are available.
* If you wish to create a custom registry file, you can use my Custom Services Registry File Tool.
* Service settings are global, meaning changes apply to all users.
* All of these services are "Standard" with Windows Vista SP1 . If you discover a service that is not listed here, another application, driver or program installed them. A few of the more common ones are listed here.
* Still unsure? Put your setting to "Manual" or the listing under "Safe." Manual allows Windows Vista to start the service when it needs to (or when ever it feels like it), but not at boot up. Depending on your configuration, not all services will start when required while in "Manual" mode. If you find you need a service, place it in Automatic.
* After adjusting your service settings, reboot your computer.
* Before E-Mailing me, see if your question has been addressed in the FAQ!
* Viewing Instructions: If the information is hard to read, please check out your viewing options.
* Printing Instructions: You may print just this page in any browser you wish. However, if you would like to include each services information as well, a printable PDF version is now available on the downloads page.

Black Viper

He is the Guru of System services. Read his website and listen to him.

#7 TheSadness

TheSadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

erm thanks but i can't seem to be able to find something related to MagicJack there.
can you give me a direct link? :thumbsup:
P.S. Great Site.

#8 TheSadness

TheSadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

BUMP! need replies.

#9 rudyg

rudyg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:03 AM

I don't have the fix for this yet either, but just wanted to join in because I'm having the same problem. The Magic Jack application is best labelled "verbose" and is definitely not user friendly from a normal Windows app behavior perspective. I am running it on XP and tried first with "help" of their live support service. What a joke, they don't even understand English!!, let alone what you might mean by "how to disable it on start-up".
Also tried to manually disable the entry in the startup menu, but just as you already said, when you click on the shortcut to open the app, it just re-installs itself and presto, status quo again.
This would either require a Windows expert or the guy at Magic Jack who came up with this hair brained idea (they should replace him, actually).

By the way, I also noticed when you start up Magic Jack, and you make a call immediately after the soft phone image pops up (ready to make a call), it will actually take away bandwidth from its voice process to handle downloading all the stupid ads it wants to pester you with! Imagine that, the ads are more important than the use of the bleeping phone! They really blew that one.
Anyway, I'm still in the 30 day trial period and will consider chucking it if no help arrives. The darn thing actually has interfered with my normal startup by being immediately activated. Let's hope there is a cure out there. Anybody have a good tech contact at Magic Jack?
Appreciate any relevant feedback.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,884 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Here are links (and there are many more trashing MJ) that you may find useful in understanding the problems and uninstalling of MJack.
http://uninstallmagicjack.com/?cat=1
http://uninstallmagicjack.com/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 TheSadness

TheSadness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

I don't have the fix for this yet either, but just wanted to join in because I'm having the same problem. The Magic Jack application is best labelled "verbose" and is definitely not user friendly from a normal Windows app behavior perspective. I am running it on XP and tried first with "help" of their live support service. What a joke, they don't even understand English!!, let alone what you might mean by "how to disable it on start-up".
Also tried to manually disable the entry in the startup menu, but just as you already said, when you click on the shortcut to open the app, it just re-installs itself and presto, status quo again.
This would either require a Windows expert or the guy at Magic Jack who came up with this hair brained idea (they should replace him, actually).

By the way, I also noticed when you start up Magic Jack, and you make a call immediately after the soft phone image pops up (ready to make a call), it will actually take away bandwidth from its voice process to handle downloading all the stupid ads it wants to pester you with! Imagine that, the ads are more important than the use of the bleeping phone! They really blew that one.
Anyway, I'm still in the 30 day trial period and will consider chucking it if no help arrives. The darn thing actually has interfered with my normal startup by being immediately activated. Let's hope there is a cure out there. Anybody have a good tech contact at Magic Jack?
Appreciate any relevant feedback.

lol. i'm with you. you got it all correct on what i'm trying to say.
well, hope there's someone who knows it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users