Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grammar Nazis

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you a grammar Nazi? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Well, are you?

1. Oh god yes! (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

2. No, not really. (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. A bit, but I restrane myself. (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. *restrain, restrain, for the love of god restrain! (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bananorama

Bananorama

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

I don't honestly have the best grammar and spelling, but some people are just ridiculous. It takes way too much effort on my part to not correct them. I can make exceptions for people who are very young, and anyone whose first language is not English. My problem is with people who grew up hearing and speaking English and make horrible mistakes. Maybe I am just crazy, but does this drive anyone else nuts?

Edited by Bananorama, 31 January 2009 - 04:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:04 AM

No and I despise users that point out stupid litle spelling errors. Tha is one reason I use Firefox. I was in a forum a long time ago and this one member, I will bet 26% of his posts were telling other users what they spelled wrong.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

I don't honestly have the best grammar and spelling, but some people are just ridiculous. It takes way too much effort on my part to not correct them. I can make exceptions for people who are very young, and anyone whose first language is not English. My problem is with people who grew up hearing and speaking English and make horrible mistakes. Maybe I am just crazy, but does this drive anyone else nuts?

It's not up to one member to chastize another,re their spelling.I think it is so impolite.If there is a real issue,then Admin or Mods can send them a PM.I hate Members texting in all Caps,or no Gaps. :thumbsup:
I often make Speelling mistakes. :flowers:

EDIT. Here in OZ we use the Queens Englsh,and hundreds of words are spelt different to the US.I don't consider them spelling mistakes.I have been picked up on,by other members.
Example. Tire-Tyre, Program-Programme, Trak-Track,Iraq-Iracq.

Edited by DSTM, 31 January 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

I am a grammar Nazi.. I have to restrain myself all the time. LOL

I have had people correct me. I am not perfect, I do typo occasionally. A typo is a whole other thing than a mispelling IMHO> I know how to spell correctly, and I know proper grammar. LOL I can see making a mistake here and there but if someone is consistently clueless, it needs to be brought to their attention. lol

Edited by Pandy, 31 January 2009 - 10:46 AM.
OMG a typo! *giggle*

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

It depends on where I am.

At work I expect things to be right. Other places are more relaxed. Instant messaging - anything goes :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

I used to be super-correct, but have gotten a lot more relaxed.

With computer tools like spell check and grammar check, I am irritated when documents go out with major errors. Of course, dictionaries in software applications often have errors in them, too.

What really gets my goat are the news tickers on cable and the advertisements which have frequent misspellings. Ones that are really obvious. One day this week, every statement on a news ticker for a while had misspellings. I find it very distracting, and I forget what the original headline was about!

There was a charter school started locally a few years ago called "Cresent View." That's right, the name for a high school was misspelled in all its advertisements. What a recommendation! A year-and-a-half later, the spelling was corrected.

What I find even more irritating is the continual misuse of the word "decimate" for words like devastate or massacre. The word has a very specific historical meaning, and tyrants and terrorists still practice decimation, which is to take 1 out of every 10 persons in a group, at random, and execute them. It is a practice meant to instill terror and obedience. I suppose one could say that pundits and tv news persons are decimating the English language, since they do seem to make significant mistakes 10% of the time. :thumbsup:

#7 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:08 PM

Since The blood of one of the finest Southern Gentleman i've ever known flow's thru my veins,I tend ta type like i talk,I'm a creature of habit and tradition,Do I know how to use proper Grammer..in a word yes...Do I know how to spell correctly....yes(well unless i'm distracted, or it's late an my brain has turned ta oatmeal :thumbsup: )
Do I feel the need to correct others....sometimes..BUT as a general Rule..NO!, i'm usually to busy :flowers: at their foul-up
Now sayin thanges bacerds do tend ta make me a bit cornfused :trumpet: :inlove:

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

Me Nazi of Grammar. Me make u write gud. Me hit you over hed enless you rite gud.

What really annoys me are 1337speak, AOLisms (ROTFLMAO, LOLOLOLOzz!!!1), and the like.

#9 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

Me Nazi of Grammar. Me make u write gud. Me hit you over hed enless you rite gud.

What really annoys me are 1337speak, AOLisms (ROTFLMAO, LOLOLOLOzz!!!1), and the like.

I agree.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

OMG!!!11 did u just agr33 with m3?!!!11 7h@7s gr8!!!11

#11 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

hu wats gramma& whoo gaves a shoot :thumbsup:

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

OMG!!!11 did u just agr33 with m3?!!!11 7h@7s gr8!!!11

That sort of thing makes me head hurt.. it took me a full minute to realize that 7h@7s was. hehe Seems it would be just as easy to type proper English than it is to learn all that new l33t nonsense.

Anyway fuzzywuzzy6 just reminded me.. I was watching TV and it had closed captioning on at the time. I was aghast at the typing errors that were showing up. I can imagine it would happen but this was very bad, in every next frame there was something wrong with it. I thought that was awful, CC is for hearing impaired people, as if they were not impaired enough as it is, they have to decipher typoes and bad grammar also? Bad form :thumbsup:

Edited by Pandy, 31 January 2009 - 07:07 PM.
Wouldn't you know? Another typo hehe

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

if eye ken understand wut u r sayin- dat's all dat matterz 2 me. LOL

That's the problem though. When people criticize someones writing when they can understand EXACTLY what it says. They are OCD and it bothers them to see a semicolon missing or a word not capitalized. If someone genuinely had trouble understanding something, then that's when I can understand correcting them.

I think it's virtually impossible to be 100% with grammar. So I don't try too hard. The key words are "too hard". I'll try to stay on track, but I'm not gonna obsess over it because a lot of the rules and spelling are just plain stupid to me. Why the hell does Tsunami need to be spelled with a T?

It does bother me when people don't know the difference between There, Their, and They're.

Edited by Mr_Freeware, 31 January 2009 - 11:04 PM.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

I defer to Orange Blossom !!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:21 AM

My other pet peeve (also a semantics one) is misuse of the word literally. How hard a word is it to understand? Literally is now used (sometimes it seems every other word, when listening to all sorts of folks on tv) as an intensifier. so if one is reciting a factual account, and uses literally in a metaphor. . .

Oh what a tangled web we weave when english we misperceive

Incidentally, I had one supervisor who said she could not understand me most of the time: I was either too scholarly or too earthy and crude. I found it very difficult to talk at all for a while in that office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users