Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stewfus

stewfus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:06 AM

Got an "almost dead" desktop computer. The green light on the motherboard is lit, but that's as far as I can go. Replaced the "old" power supply with a new 500w ATX12V PC Power and Cooling (by OCZ) power supply with the same results. Tried unplugging each connection to everything in the computer one by one (except the main to the motherboard) and then attempted a start at each step, but no go. Tried unplugging the main and shorting out the green (power on) wire to a black and got the PSU fan to go on in the "old" PSU, but not on the new one so I think the new PSU's fan is temperature controlled. No voltage ever showed on any pins except the green power-on pin, which read 2.47v on both PSUs. I'm assuming, then, that both power supplies are okay (not likely they'd both have the same problem). I know the gray wire on the main is some sort of signal circuit to the PSU to signal it's okay to go to full power, but I have no idea how to check it. I have a ASUS P5K-E mobo with Core 2 Duo e6600, and I am not a heavy user--ie, I don't do heavy gaming or video projects. Oh, yeah, and the voltage and wiring in my home checks out okay, and I even tried unplugging the mobo's battery for 10 seconds. Any suggestions...?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

When shorting the green wire to any of the black wires "should" cause the PSU to come online. Leave a HDD plugged into the power supply to create a load and you should be able to test the power supply using your voltmeter. What was the circumstances that lead to the computers demise. Did you install any new components? Is this a new build that has never posted? Woke up one morning and the computer wouldn't turn on?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users