Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing an old version of Netscape

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:09 AM

Would it be OK if I were to completly remove all files and folders of Netscape from my computer? It is an extremly old version. Netscape 2. (I think). I have no use for it.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

Why not? Are you using a newer version of Netscape now?

:thumbsup: Have you read the article about MS wanting you to remove Netscape 8? I am sure they would love that you remove any and all old versions of Netscape, or any other browser from your computer, IE excluded of course. :flowers:

Back to the question, I am sure if you run the uninstall it SHOULD remove without difficulty..Since it is an earlier version of Netscape, you may have to do some manual clean-up afterwards to get rid of any stray files that the uninstall left behind.

Good-luck,

Joshuacat
JC

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

Lol No I am not using any version of Netscape. Eiether the old one or a newer version. Thanks for the info on Netscape 8 though. I have seen the thread.

I just want to remove the version that I have. Since I have no need for it. This is an old computer someone had given me. Which is why there is such an old version of Netscape in it. It does not show in add/remove so I figured that I would need to remove all files and folders related to it.

Just wanted to make sure that it would be ok. I am pretty sure that it is. I only want reassurance.

Edit: In search for Files and Folders, Netscape is listed in
C:\Program Files\Concentric\Internet Kit

So is it ok to remove them anyway?

Edited by scarlett, 28 May 2005 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:41 PM

Just doing a search on Contrentric, I came up with this. The version of Netscape must have at one time been part of that ISP's internet kit. I still don't see any harm in removing it. Unless, you have something else in the directory that yor need. If you are still worried, you could make a test directory, move the Concentric\Internet Kit directory into that, and see what happens.

You can always restore it if you see problems, or delete if you don't.

I still don't think you should have a problem...famous last words... :thumbsup:

Joshuacat.
:flowers:
JC

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

Are you telling me the Concentric Internet Kit is (was) an ISP? I am so naive. I thought that it was a part of my system. :thumbsup:

As I have said before. This is an old computer that I was given. So what you mean is that the files and folders of Concentric Internet Kit, are just what is leftover from an ISP, used long ago?

If true, then to me I do not have any need for the folders and files for it eiether. Maybe I should go ahead and scrap all of them as well.
Posted Image

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:04 AM

As I have said before. This is an old computer that I was given. So what you mean is that the files and folders of Concentric Internet Kit, are just what is leftover from an ISP, used long ago?

Looks like it to me.

If true, then to me I do not have any need for the folders and files for it eiether. Maybe I should go ahead and scrap all of them as well.

Go for it. If you are still unsure, you could back them up as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Joshuacat
:thumbsup:
JC

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

Thank you Joshaua. You have been a big help. I may just throw caution to the wind and trash the entire Concentric Internet Kit, all files and folders. Since Netscape is tied in with it as well. I'll be killing two birds with one stone so to speak. The entire Concentric Internit Kit including Netscape, has in total 319 files and 14 folders. Unnecessary bloat.

Edit: I now have found, that apparently Concentric Internet was offered through Acer Computer. Which is what I have an Acer. So now I am worried that removing of all files and folders concerning Concentric Internet may screw up my Acer files. I do not think that it would. Once again, I just want to be sure.

So how would I make a backup?

So funny to me, as someone who has never had to endure dial-up. The Acer offer of Concentric Internet. States that it is free internet service. Yeah, sure it was free. At only 3 online hours a month. :thumbsup: Any additional hours were $2.95 per hour. At that rate I would owe, at times at least $30 a day. :flowers:

Edited by scarlett, 29 May 2005 - 11:11 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

So how would I make a backup?

Step #1:
From your c:\drive(in My Computer or Explorer)
From the menus, click File, New, Folder, type in ACERISP.

Step #2:

From c:\program files, right click Concentric, click Cut.
Go back up to the directory you created in Step #1(c:\ACERISP), right click and click paste.

Wait a few days. After that, you can go back and delete your c:\ACERISP folder.

If you feel that you screwed up any of the steps, you can use the Edit, Undo
from the menus.

That's it!

now I am worried that removing of all files and folders concerning Concentric Internet may screw up my Acer files. I do not think that it would.

To me, it looks like the folder is strictly for Concentric ISP.

Remember, you could always just recover it from the recycle bin if you bypassed all of my steps and just deleted it. It is not like you are deleting the Windows directory or something similar.

Joshuacat
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users