Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrectly detected keyboard & no hard drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mikenaly

mikenaly

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

My wife has a Gateway laptop that decided to crash and burn. I tried every trick and tip I could get my hands on to recover it, but it was no use. Finally I gave up and decided to try a new hard drive. Once the new hard drive was installed, I ran into a couple of new problems. First of all, the machine fails to even detect either the new or the old hard drive in the bios setup utility, and when the computer is allowed to simply attempt to boot, it tells me that it cannot find an operating system (which I pretty much expected since there isnt one on the new drive).

The second major problem that has developed is with the keyboard. I have a boot disk with several utilities on it. When I boot the laptop with that disk, everything seems to work as expected, but some of the utilities check the hardware before actually loading. When this happens, the utility returns the following for the keyboard:

Keyboard: FR Francais-clavier azerty

The keyboard is a standard qwerty type layout. I have discovered that the Q and W keys are reversed with the A and Z keys respectively. There are several other keys that do not perform correctly, however I have since discovered that "azerty" is a standard keboard layout, so I suspect that the keyboard is being incorrectly identified as such, but I cannot come up with anything which will let me correct this problem.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anybody could give me that would help resolve these issues.

Thank you in advance, Mike.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users