Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Pcg-7K1L error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elmu

elmu

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

well, my friend's vaio kept restarting after booting up so i tried to run sony vaoi's system recovery (alt f10)
I ran one of the 'restore to factory settings' ( its either drive c, or OS) then it stopped at 12% after waiting a looooooong time it says error 400 or something then i restarted it, and voila a black screen with text saying error loading operating system appeared.
i tried reformatting it using the cd but i dont know if it cant read the cd or the cd-rom is the one which is busted.
anyone knows how this can be fixed?

Edited by elmu, 30 January 2009 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

I would run a diagnostic test on the hard drive to rule that out as a problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

Is it XP or Vista?

#4 elmu

elmu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

I would run a diagnostic test on the hard drive to rule that out as a problem.

i have to add, sadly, the cd-rom is busted. :flowers:
how is that possible then? :thumbsup:

Is it XP or Vista?

it is xp home

ty for the replies
<---- hoping for solutions *pray*

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

You'll need to get hold of a USB floppy drive.

Download the Windows XP Setup Floppies from Microsoft. Use this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/en-us . Download the boot disks and copy them on to floppies.

Plug a USB floppy drive into your computer and boot from the floppy. Usually, just the presence of the drive (with the floppy installed) is enough to boot from floppy, but you may have to go into your computers BIOS Setup to choose a floppy boot. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 elmu

elmu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

ayt thx. ill try to get my hands on a usb floppy drive

#7 jon0111387

jon0111387

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:05 AM

But will the scan disk automaticly fix any problems in the MBR? I'm just curious because I've always ran the fix mbr command second to the chkdsk /r just to make sure all possible problems are delt with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users