Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts down randomly

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Syst3mcr4sh3r

Syst3mcr4sh3r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hey, first post here, having problems with my PC. I'm fairly decent with computers, and I'm pretty sure I've got the problem figured out, but I don't have a lot of money so I want to fix it on the first try. When I boot the computer up, it shuts down during the Windows loading screen. Twice it did make it to the log on screen, but as soon as I clicked my username, it shut down. I thought maybe it was something to do with the outlet I was using or the cable I had, so I tried every outlet, multiple power strips, switched power cords, no go. However, when I removed keyboard, mouse, etc; it would last a little longer before shutting down. I took it up to my second floor, thinking perhaps it was still just the outlet (this house isn't wired very well, several outlets have issues) and plugged just the tower to the strip up there. No peripherals, monitor, nothing but the power cable. I watched it, and it lasted a much longer time (4 or 5 minutes) but then shut off. My guess is that my power supply is dying, but I thought I'd ask you guys just to verify this before I spend what little money I have on a new one, only to find out that wasn't it (college kid, poor, you know the deal). Was working just 5 hours ago, shut it down and when I came back this was what I got. I'm hoping you guys verify what I think, or perhaps suggest something non hardware related that won't cost me anything to fix.

Details:
Windows XP, most recent SP and all drivers up to date.
No recent installations of any software (including malware/virus, I've seen what that's done to my less wary family members so I'm very on top of things in that regard)
No new hardware installed.
No error messages during POST.

If you need any more information, I'll do my best, but I can't really get anything within the computer itself, of course.

Thanks in advance for your input, everyone.

Edit: Also, if everyone agrees that its the power supply, or I decide on my own to replace that, I may ask for some suggestions for a new one, if anyone here can provide help with that.

Edit2: Just powered it up again, had the tower laying on its side and I emptied my last can of air getting as much dust as I can out of there, especially around the power supply itself...It actually let me log in this time, everything loaded, and I thought perhaps clearing the dust fixed it...the fan was making a weird noise, and then it sped up quite a bit, and got a lot louder before shutting down...also, I have a fan speed/temp thing on the front of my case, it says the fan is going 9990rpm, which its not...it normally runs at 5400rpm. My CPU is also water cooled, and the tubes are looking very cloudy...there's like...a large cloud right in the middle of one of the tubes. Might that be preventing my CPU from being cooled, and so automatically shuts the PC off? I may wait to buy a new power supply until I clean the tubes...that may be my problem.

Edited by Syst3mcr4sh3r, 30 January 2009 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users