Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2008, Domain or Workgroup?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

Someone set up a new server without talking with us to see what we need. They made it a domain when all we need is a workgroup as it is a file server for only 8 - 15 stations. (right now only 8). I have a reading, non-stop, a huge book on Server 2008 and it seems that many things about the domain use makes it more complicated. Should/could we demote it to a workgroup? Would it mess up anything? If it is a good idea, how is it done?

Thanks for any information and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobertFranz

RobertFranz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

Keep reading.

Seriously.

It's a trivial matter to remove the domain controller role, but it has some decidedly non-trivial effects.

Yes - it's more complex, but for a reason.

If the domain is properly set up and configured, and the necessary tools installed, it's very easy for an admin to perform actions on the various members remotely.

It's also easy to botch things horribly.

The biggest risk is hosing security so badly that people lose access to their files until you have to pay someone else to come in and unscrew it.

There is a lot of good that comes from a formal domain - and that's why I recommend slogging through that book.

What you *don't* want to do is get rid of the domain , then decide that you needed it after all.

#3 CaroleAnne

CaroleAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for your response. After more reading, and your comment, I have decided to leave the server as a domain. I'll keep reading and next week I will have VM with Server2008 OS so I can try thing at home in a safe environment. Would hate to try new things on the actual server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users