Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home SP3 Boot failure press any key to continue issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 shades of gray

shades of gray

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

Recently I decided to try out linux mint. I created a live cd and installed mint as a dual boot with Windows XP Home Edition SP3 on a single hard drive. After installing mint every time I boot up the computer I got the message “boot failure press any key to continue” pressing a key just makes the message repeat. If I reboot and press f12 “BOOT PXE” I could get into the GRUB boot screen and choose what OS I would like to use. After being unable to fix the boot failure problem I deleted the mint partition and merged it with the XP partition.

I still get the “boot failure press any key to continue”screen and I am still able to use f12 to get into xp-it now goes to the welcome screen from whence I am able to access XP-which works fine. I have used the windows install cd recovery console fixmbr, fixboot, chkdsk /p /r and am unable to fix the boot. I have all of the data from the hard drive backed up, however I would rather not do a reinstall. Does any one have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thank you in advance.

My System..hope this helps: Intel DP45SG Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Processor, MSI R4830 Graphics Card, OCZ 2x1GB PC10666 1333mhz memory 500 Watt ATX Power Supply, 320 GB Seagate Hard drive, LightScribe optical drive, Windows XP SP3, couple years old crt emachines monitor, Logitech G5 Mouse, Logitech multimedia keyboard, multicard reader

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users