Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection sharing problem on ad-hoc network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lixpas

Lixpas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hi,
I have a problem with Windows Internet Connection Sharing. I set up an Ad-hoc wireless network between my host computer (which has LAN internet connecion) with client notebook, both with Windows XP. This network works fine. I also set up ICS on the host computer, but this doesn't work.

Notebook recognizes the shared connection, it seems connected, there are packets flowing between host and client, but I can't connect to any webpage on notebook.

Computer's LAN connection is flawless.

I can ping computer from notebook and vice versa.

Computer's IP is same as the notebooks gateway.

When pinging any page from notebook, it translates its address to IP so obviously DNS works, but the page still cannot be pinged (it is timeouted).

There is no firewall involved, Windows firewall as well as Bitdefender is turned off on both, the computer and the notebook.

ICS properties can be managed even from the notebook.

I tried setting the ICS manually and through the wizard, but nothing works.

I would really appreciate any help, hint or advice, because I am out of ideas, what can be wrong. But please don't tell me to buy router, because I need this option only few days a month when I am on visit,
it is not how I connect to internet on daily basis, I have a router at home. Thanks a lot in advance for any idea.

Lixpas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

Adhoc networks through ICS can be... fun to set up.

First thing is, what type of network is the desktop connected to? I know you said it was a wired Ethernet connection, but is this a company connection, or a home network? Just curious about the possibility that there might be something on a company network that sees the ICS and prevents the other device from connecting. At a home network, that would be extremely unlikely. Just a first thing to rule out.

Also, what does the wan connection of the desktop connect to? Is it direct to a router, or is it connecting to a hub or a switch?

Finally, when the ICS is active and the notebook is connected, is the desktop computer still able to get on the internet?
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users