Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to log onto Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jene

Jene

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 28 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

Another newbie who got beside herself. Received computer from a friend with Win 2000. On boot up it gave option of Win 2000 Professional or Win 2000 Server for a few seconds and if choice not made , booted as server requiring password. Friend did not remember pass, said to choose Professional. Annoying prob. that I can live with, but though since I want give it to my daughter I should make it a little easier so I searched within Windows itself and found something about going to system folder to make some changes. Went there, got frisky with my know nothing self, changed the option to be Professional first with a 60 sec. delay, then boot professional if one missed the chance to choose. Went somewhere else, so sorry , but I don't remember exactly where, and chose to delete my friend's name as one who would be able to access the computer. I think it was in the control panel somewhere (?). I changed the computer name to my daughter's name and a message came up that the computer had to be rebooted for the change to take place. I rebooted and window came up with my friend's name as the user. The message then comes that the computer could not log the user on. Backspaced the name out and still got message of cannot log on. If you aren't laughing yet here comes the belly rolling stuff. I rebooted and pressed delete key and thought I should try to disable any passwords ( includes supervisor and user). Couldn't figure how to do it so pressed space bar several times (spelling disable as I pressed) for both and then pressed the key to save it to CMOS. Still can't get past the windows login screen and each time I do a delete key before windows loads I get asked for the password which is the space bar 7 times. I can't figure out how to fix that either. Is anyone able to stop laughing long enough to give me any suggestions? I'd be glad to get them even if you can't resist some scolding to go along with it. I don't know what else to tell you, but I'm willing to find out whatever you need that will help you help me. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:16 AM

Go to the control panel - users and passwords - change the space bar password to be something you like better, then as admin reset all the other passwords so each user can set their own (or set one for them if you are more comfortable doing that),

#3 Jene

Jene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

Enthusiast, thank you for taking the time to read, consider and reply. At this time I'm not able to get to the control panel because I'm stuck at the screen asking for user name and password. Is there another way to do this?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:28 PM

Am I correct in asuming that you do not have a boot disc for this machine?
(don't feel bad. Most people don't because they never read the manual that came with their computer)

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

Enthusiast, thank you for taking the time to read, consider and reply. At this time I'm not able to get to the control panel because I'm stuck at the screen asking for user name and password. Is there another way to do this?

You said you entered your daughters name as a user?
Clear whatever name the login popup is asking for and replace it with the name you typed into the account for your daughter. Unless you entered a password for her too just try hitting "enter".

#6 Jene

Jene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:09 AM

Enthusiast, thank you again. Correct assumption. Friend said she misplaced disc. Practiced don't ask, don't tell policy since she gave me the loaded machine. Feel bad, though, that I didn't make a boot disc before I started tinkering around. Live and learn. Didn't set up account for my daughter. Went to area where one gives the machine a name and gave it my daughter's name. In area where accounts are set up I did not add a name, just deleted my friend's. When machine comes up and loads windows my friend's name is always in the box. I erase it (delete, backspace) and still can't get in. Put in my daughter's name, still no go. I'm ready if you have to give me the bad news now.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 02:21 AM

The password you are being asked for is at the Windows 2000 logon screen is that right?
Have you tried username = Administrator password = <blank> and return?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Jene

Jene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 05:34 PM

Rimmer, You're right about the screen. I hadn't tried it before, did it per your suggestion. No go, but I thank you much.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 29 May 2005 - 06:07 PM

Try every password you can think of associated with that machine as the password for user Administrator. If that fails look here: http://www.loginrecovery.com/

There are other links and discussion here: http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#20

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

The delete key before windows boots is called the BIOS.
You can disable the password, by hitting the delete key before windows boots, type your spacebar password. The go to the option somewhere in the BIOS where you can change the password, when you change it dont type anything in, just hit enter.

Also, nothing in the BIOS will help you with changing the password in Windows, and I cant help you with that, sorry.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:49 PM

1 - Does your friend remember her Win 2000 password?
If so, try it, although deleting her account in users/passwords may have made that a moot point, but it's worth a try.

2 - You obviously have access to another computer. Does it use the same op system, Win 2K?
If so, you can make a set of bootdisks with it and use it on the other computer.

If not,

Go to bootdisk.com
http://www.bootdisk.com/

You can download a set of bootdisks for Win 2k (or any other Win version).

Make sure you read the "Read 1st" before you do anything else.
It will tell you how to download and use the bootdisks.
Win 2K will need a set of 4 floppies.
Read the "Read 1st"

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 November 2005 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users