Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes when ripping cd's

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arthur heaton

arthur heaton

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

First post on here and I'm mystified. No matter which program I use(media player11, real, free RIP), my computer freezes completely after about 2 minutes while ripping cd's.This problem has only recently surfaced, so I have done every thing I can; reloaded programs, drivers ,checked for spyware(clean) ,sworn at the cat, and it still does it.Can anybody help? or at least point me in the right direction .

Basic spec -custom pc using Athlon 1800 cpu(running about 50c,case 21c)
Windows Sp3 fully updated
via'97 sound card on soltek motherboard
LG and Ultima dvd readers(does it with both).
AVG antivirus
Tivoli back up software
750 meg +ram

Task manager shows 100% cpu use on freeze(usually but not always)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:34 AM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).
  • Swear at the cat some more.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 arthur heaton

arthur heaton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the tips-I re-installed all the burning software and ,after several tries;the CORRECT driver for the LG drive and it seems to have have worked.The cat can come in out of the snow now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users