Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM channel query

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

Sup guys, been a while. And like all questions i've ever asked here i should know the answer already but well its my money i'm gonna spend so i wanna make sure :thumbsup: Basically here's the gist, I"m building 2 computers using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131330 and 32 bit xp. I wanna be able to use 3G of RAM, since it only maxes at 3.something anyway.
Question is can I spit 2 sets with same timings/latency like take a stick of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227289 and a stick of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227178 slap one into channel A and one into B and it work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

No. The sticks have to be the same size; although. some motherboards can run 3 sticks in dual channel (ie a 2gig stick on one channel and a pair of 1gig sticks on the other channel). It helps to have RAM with the same timings. The RAM you listed has different timings. Any time you use unmatched RAM in dual channel, you takes your chances.

Burn the extra $12 and get 2 sets of the 2X2gig sticks.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:37 AM

In the long run, using a set of 2GB sticks is probably the easiest method. It may also be the cheapest.

Another way would be to install a matched set of 1GB sticks and another matched set of 512MB sticks but like I said before, it would be easiest to get 2 matched pairs for each board.

However, here is a method for using all 4GB of RAM. Check this out:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/.../05/208908.aspx

Good luck.

DR

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

However, here is a method for using all 4GB of RAM. Check this out:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/.../05/208908.aspx

Unfortunately the link only leads to a discussion of the /3GB switch, which makes no difference to the proportion of 4GB of physical RAM that can be used. The /3GB switch just takes 1GB of virtual addresses away from the Windows kernel address space and makes it available in the user address space to the few applications that are large address aware.

PAE is the function that potentially (but problematically) allows Windows to use the otherwise mostly inaccessible uppermost 1GB of physical memory if it's moved above the 4GB point.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platf...PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Edited by Platypus, 31 January 2009 - 09:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the link. Very good white paper. Sorry for any misinformation as I have never used the /3GB switch myself and would definitely advise anyone interested to investigate further.

I would say though that a 4GB matched pair (of 2GB sticks) is probably the cheapest way to go.

DR

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

I would say though that a 4GB matched pair (of 2GB sticks) is probably the cheapest way to go.

Especially since it allows an easy path for possible future upgrade to 64bit OS.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

technically in theory, with some motherboards you can, ive run boards with mixed sticks like that and ive seen others run like that, however not all motherboards support that, and on top of that you wont get maximum performance, especially if the timings arnt the same. Id just buy a 2 x 2 gig setup, sure 32 bit windows wont recognize like .75 if one gig, but the 3.25 or whatever the actual figure is will run better. or, u could invest in a 64 bit system. or for that matter 2 gigs is more then enough for XP, if u really want to save money just buy a 2 gig set.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users