Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed Up System Tray Collapse

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

I have been looking for an answer to this question for quite awhile. I have not found it anywhere, and I don't know if its because I'm simply looking in the wrong place or just using the wrong terminology.

I have plenty of icons running in my system tray because I have a lot of programs open at one time (I know it's bad, but my computer can fully support it with no problem at all. This is how I've been running my computer for as long as I've had it. I built it myself). I don't want to see at least ten or fifteen icons sitting in my system tray whenever I'm working on the computer, as I usually am moving items back and forth between windows and programs, and I need all the taskbar space I can get. I hide the icons which I don't want to see (which is all but one of them, my weather app). Closing these programs is a hassle, as I mentioned earlier, because when they are hidden, I can expose them, but once I click one and close it, the tray collapses again (which takes about 2-4 seconds to do). Then, I have to open back up and close another program, ad infinitum.

I am NOT asking how to speed up the computer or the tray in the traditional system performance sense; this is all I have encountered when searching for this answer. I am, though, looking for a registry tweak (preferrably not another program, as I obviously have enough running) or something similarly permanent that could speed up the collapse of the system tray when inactive icons/icons I want hidden are hidden and I'd like to close each one. I know I can just set it to show all icons when I do need to close the programs, but I'd rather be without the step (I am willing to do this if there truely is nothing, but I highly doubt there is not a registry tweak that could be performed). On the traditional Windows 98 VS, the arrow closes rather quickly, almost snapping back and forth when it is clicked. Sometimes, it does not close at all until the arrow is clicked again--the latter is greatly preferrable. This would allow me a glance at all my programs in the system tray without having to right-click, un-tick a box, apply, then reverse it when I'm done with that. I'd like something similar to that which will remain permanent (I already realize Windows likes to "forget" settings sometimes...thanks stupid screensaver...).

A method I have used for closing programs is a batch file, but for some reason it does not fuction correctly. I have a batch file to open all the background programs I use, and this works perfectly, but the close just does not. Some programs close, others do not fully, others not at all. For example, Firefox will close (I assume because it's self-contained) but only parts of Rainmeter will close. Avedesk does not close at all, period. So, this leads me to have to close all these programs manually with the aforementioned problems and hassles.

Please help. I've been looking for this for a LONG time, and nothing has assisted me.

Thank you soooo much to anyone that can offer valid and useful advice! :thumbsup:

-Hammy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

Doesn't your system tray collapse automatically? Mine does. The way to do this is go to Control Panel>Taskbar & Start Menu>under Notification Area, check Hide Inactive Icons. That should do it.

#3 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

My system tray does collapse automatically. I guess I didn't make that clear enough. It does collapse, but it does not do so quickly (takes about 2-4 seconds with all the programs I have). It is a nuisance to have to close one program, wait for it to collapse, open it again, then close another, and repeat until all programs are closed.
I'm looking for a way to speed up the closing of the system tray when I have inactive icons hidden. I click the arrow, it opens fully, and I want this opening/closing motion to be quicker somehow.
Is there not a registry tweak or something similar that can be done?

Edited by HamSandwich, 31 January 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#4 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

You may have already thought of this and rejected the idea but, for a long time I went along with the single row Taskbar. Now I find I like to minimize a lot of apps to system tray to get rid of the taskbar button using a tray minimizer. I just dragged the taskbar so that it's 2 rows high now. I have lots of tray apps running, and a fair amount of QuickLaunch icons that aren't hidden, without the taskbar getting crowded. Makes things a lot easier. Also I had a lot of apps that I used frequently but not as often as QuickLaunch categorized in folders all in a folder on the desktop. I don't use Start Menu often. I found that I could drag that folder to the edge of the screen to get a home made toolbar. If you keep the folder names short and use small icons you can resize it so that 6 folders fit in a window about 3" wide. I keep that OnTop next to the Taskbar.

The other thing I found helpful was a donationware called FARR. For Find And Run Robot. It's kind of like a customizable Windows Search. You press the break key and start typing and it searches for matching files and folders. What makes it fast is it only searches a few folders by default. You can add specific folder trees to search. It weights your usage and also when you hit the hotkey again it brings up a Recent list. I used Slickrun for years but this is more sophisticated.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mous...drun/index.html

If it's any consolation I tried the W7 beta and the Superbar gets rid of all that aggravation. You just pin apps to the Superbar. It's like the QuickLaunch only if the app is running its icon is highlighted. It's the only thing I really missed when I took the beta off. :thumbsup:

Edited by MilesAhead, 31 January 2009 - 03:45 PM.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#5 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

Well now I'm really looking forward to W7! :flowers:
The problem I'm having is not opening programs or running them. It is the opposite: closing them. Quick Launch will be of no use to me because you can't close programs via Quick Launch. I would prefer not to make the taskbar twice as big simply because I like minimalism, as that is obvious with my short temper with seeing tray icons.
I'd like to find some way to either keep the tray open (when 'hide inactive icons' is checked) long enough to close almost every program on it, without it closing first. I have seen the tray on the standard VS on a computer at work stay open until the user clicks on the arrow to close it again. This is the optimal thing I want. But somehow delaying the collapsing of the tray would be fine.
Is there really no registry tweak for it? Surely something has to control how long it stays open, the method by which it opens/closes, and how the arrow reacts to clicking. :thumbsup:

#6 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

My taskbar has been set to NOT autohide for years now since I only have about 6 icons total.

However all my experience in the past is if you want it to auto hide, you need to fuss with the arrow, and clicking it over and over.
You can control which applications are ALWAYS showing and which AUTO hide, and which are ALWAYS hidden, I am sure you knew this already though.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

Yeah most stuff in the systray autohides if it isn't used for a half hour. Honestly, I don't pay much attention to it.

#8 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Some of these responses are redundant of my own post. I have already established that I hide my inactive icons as well as icons I do not want to see. I also have established that I do have inactive icons that hide when 'hide inactive icons' is checked. Mentioning autohide and personal troubles with the arrow on the system tray does not answer my question. I am not trying to be rude, but I am trying to be firm with what I would like answered. I have been frustrated with this question for some time, and I posted here because I hope to receive an adequate answer. I would not like commentary that has either been affirmed or is superfluous to the question at hand.
My refined question is: What is a registry setting that can be changed to manipulate the speed at which the system tray closes the arrow? Inactive icons are being hidden as well as other icons I chose to hide. I want to be able to close all of the programs on the system tray without the arrow closing the system tray after I click out of it or close one of the programs. Is there some way to either slow down the closing of the arrow or have it close manually; that is, open when I click it, close when I click it?

Edited by HamSandwich, 31 January 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#9 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Some of these responses are redundant of my own post. I have already established that I hide my inactive icons as well as icons I do not want to see. I also have established that I do have inactive icons that hide when 'hide inactive icons' is checked. Mentioning autohide and personal troubles with the arrow on the system tray does not answer my question. I am not trying to be rude, but I am trying to be firm with what I would like answered. I have been frustrated with this question for some time, and I posted here because I hope to receive an adequate answer. I would not like commentary that has either been affirmed or is superfluous to the question at hand.
My refined question is: What is a registry setting that can be changed to manipulate the speed at which the system tray closes the arrow? Inactive icons are being hidden as well as other icons I chose to hide. I want to be able to close all of the programs on the system tray without the arrow closing the system tray after I click out of it or close one of the programs. Is there some way to either slow down the closing of the arrow or have it close manually; that is, open when I click it, close when I click it?

Obviously nobody knows the answer to your registry tweak question and we are all just commenting on this thread with our own input and thoughts on the topic.

If someone knows your specific registry tweak answer, I am sure they will post in this thread.

#10 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:57 AM

MilesAhead did post a program which I can use to close programs. I believe this might help alleviate the problem I've been having. However, this was the best answer I have received. Thank you for your considerations on the matter, to everyone who did offer pertinent advice.

#11 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

You may find a lot of registry tweaks on these 2 sites:

http://www.vistax64.com/

a lot of them also work in XP
I know there were some in the tutorials section that have to do with
window and menu time-outs and that sort of thing but I don't know
specifically about the sys tray.

and

http://www.howtogeek.com/

Also take a look around at donationcoder.com because
almost all of their stuff is to do with desktop tweaking..
reserving space on the desktop, killing programs, toolbars
etc, so they may have some stuff about controlling the tray.

Another good resource is
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?

Those AutoIt3 programmers are always messing with the taskar and tray icons.
I got the minimize to tray app from there and learned how to remove tasbkar buttons
etc..

You may find a script or ask a question about it and someone may refer you to an AutoIt3 script that does it.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#12 HamSandwich

HamSandwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

Those sites have a ton of useful information. I didn't necessarily find what I was looking for, but I did find plenty of useful things I didn't even think I needed! From programs, to tweaks, to general "ease-of-use" stuff; it was all quite helpful.

Thanks, MilesAhead! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users