Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Internet Security 8.0 AVGTray.exe not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vaine

Vaine

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

I rebooted after I ran Spyhunter and then avgtray was not loading with the computer like it always does. I tried opening the exe file manually and it gives me an error. I tried to reinstall it and it still is giving me the same error. IT even dos it thit the configuration menu. It wont run!

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 59
Date: 1/30/2009
Time: 12:26:57 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JEFF-LAPTOP
Description:
Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Here is the error message itself:

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG\avgtray.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Edited by Vaine, 30 January 2009 - 12:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

Sounds like the Spyhunter prog found a part of AVG it didn't like on your system. This can happen particularly if one virus prog is run while the other is on and running. AVG has a spyware component to it, so it probably did get something flagged as such. The critical point of alot of virus and spyware progs is that the end user really should determine that all items found are indeed deletable. Other wise, even some system items can be flagged and deleted in the off chance they get identified for some? reason.
I would humbly suggest removing AVG , and down loading the most recent version and updates.
Even if AVG wasn't running during another scan, I heard that scanners open files and what not to observe there actions. Thus, the actions of prog files can seem to be malware.

I'm no pro Tho, just my 2cents.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#3 Vaine

Vaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

Thanks. I reformatted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users