Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative program languages and operating systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck the programmer

Chuck the programmer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

I'm an old programmer who started with a Commodore 64 and wanted to know if there were free languages on the internet that were worth anything. I'm even looking for small programs and operating systems alternative to Microsoft.

Are there any forums that talk about writing your own operating systems or languages?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steve_Irwin

Steve_Irwin

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

Well there is Ubuntu (Linux Distro) that is opened source, and has a huge community. Maybe you can take a look :thumbsup:
Website is www.ubuntu.com

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:23 PM

Maybe Minix? Minix is used to teach how operating systems work, and can be used to 'roll-your-own', so to speak.
QNX may be another alternative. QNX is a real-time operating system designed for embedded applications, so it is pretty small, and well supported also. Minix uses sort of an assembly language, while QNX can be programmed with C or C++.

#4 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

My step dad is a linux finatic, and he likes Mint linux
http://www.linuxmint.com/
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users