Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP graphics and black screens

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MicheleBarr-Burkett

MicheleBarr-Burkett

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

Once I log onto IE and open the window my screen goes black for about 10 seconds and loads back up really slow. Then when it is finished and my webpage is up, the graphics are all messed up. The icons and pictures are all 'pixelish' and very choppy.....you can't really tell what they are. Was wondering if you could help me with this problem.

I have already posted on the Hijack log forum and there isn't anything there they can help me with. They referred me to this board. This is the thread to the Hijack post if you need it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/194560/dds-hijack-this-log/

Thanks for your time and help,
BooBoosWife

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Did this problem start after the installation of new hardware/software?

Looks like a graphics card problem, so I'd suggest you try and update its drivers.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 MicheleBarr-Burkett

MicheleBarr-Burkett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

This problem didn't start after any new hardware was added........haven't added anything in a very long time. Where do I go to get the drivers updated???

Thanks,
BBW

#4 MicheleBarr-Burkett

MicheleBarr-Burkett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

Which drivers do I update? There are 4 under the Intel® tab in my device manager. Do I update them all.....2 controllers, 1 hub, and 1 bridge?

Thanks,
BBW

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

System manufacturer and model?

If the system is made by Dell, eMachines, etc...then the drivers should be available at the respective manufacturer's website.

If the system is custom-built or assembled by self, then the motherboard manufacturer and model will help us to locate the correct drivers.

Louis

#6 MicheleBarr-Burkett

MicheleBarr-Burkett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

I went to Compaq's website and did the updates. But it is still doing it.....though not as often and some of the graphics are clearer now. What now? There were a bunch of other updates available for my computer......should I update all the other things? I have never updated before.

Thanks,
BBW

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

I only update drivers when I have a problem with the drivers installed (for whatever reason).

If I don't have a problem, I don't update...I take the approach that it doesn't require a fix and allow it to continue to function.

Others take a different view.

Louis

#8 MicheleBarr-Burkett

MicheleBarr-Burkett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

I did the updates to the graphics driver and it is still doing it. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
BBW

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:13 PM

If the drivers don't change anything positively...then I would suspect that the graphics chip may be fading.

The test would involve inserting an appropriate (must match motherboard capabilities) physical video card and seeing if your problems continue with such.

Louis

#10 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much RAM do you have?

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#11 MicheleBarr-Burkett

MicheleBarr-Burkett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

I have 760 RAM. Is that the problem??

Thanks,
BBW

#12 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

It could be, really depends on your RAM usage. If you're running multiple applications, then it most likely is.

unite_blue.png

#13 MicheleBarr-Burkett

MicheleBarr-Burkett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

What can I do now?

#14 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

I would try and upgrade your RAM to see if that solves your problem. I did initially think that it was a graphics card driver problem, but since you attempted to update them without any improvement, my next thought would be to try and upgrade the RAM.

Remember that there are many causes for your problem, ranging from malware, slow CPU's, to even overheating CPU's.

If you'd like me to take a closer look, please post your whole system specs, everything from windows version, to hardware information to motherboard make and model.

Good luck :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

I have 760 RAM. Is that the problem??

I run XP Home with only 640 meg of ram with no problems at all. I do not have many programs running automatically at startup but most of the time I have many applications open at one time. I always have America Online with Power Tools running and Zonealarm antivirus and firewall running, as well as several windows open of IE, one with a game loaded and many other windows with websites loaded, and most of the time at least a couple of other programs running at the same time. I have never had a slow running computer or problems from too many applications open. If it has been a week or so since I have rebooted, the virtual memory thing might popup telling me it is being increased which tells me before playing certain games, I should restart the computer soon to prevent that game from having a problem. If I am not going to open the games soon, I don't even reboot then and do not notice any problems.

I am not as knowledgeable as most people here, but it seems to me that if your computer has been running fine for a long time with that amount of ram before this problem, and you have not installed any resource hogging programs recently, I would not be thinking ram is your problem. If this problem was happening all the time, and not just when using IE, I would be thinking it is a video card problem. As it is, from what you have said, this only happens when using the web, so I do not know what your problem is, only piped in because I do not think your problem is ram.

Btw, what type of internet connection do you have and was there any change in it before this problem started and have you tried repairing or reinstalling IE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users