Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open fonts folder in control panel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 panoopa

panoopa

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:18 PM

I downloaded some new fonts for my computer and everytime I tried opening my fonts folder in order to install them, I would get an error message stating that an error has occurred and windows will be shut down. Then all my open windows close.

My OS is Windows (Office) 2000 ( i think ?). Here's the thing...I am a bit computer illiterate (although improving). I just installed Windows XP Professional that a friend gave me. However, if this is possible, I think it is only in use when I run Microsoft Word and Excel and Powerpoint. The reason I think this is because when I restart my computer or go to the control panel, it still says Office 2000 and the control panel doesn't have the same options/set-up that I understand XP is supposed to have.

Can anyone help me figure out how to install my new fonts?

Thanx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

How did you install xp pro? Are we talking an office program or the entire os?
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 panoopa

panoopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:33 PM

Umm...I'm not sure. He gave me a CD he burned...when I installed it, it told me it was installing Windows Access, microsoft word, excel, powerpoint and 1 other thing (don't remember the name, but it didn't say anything about os...?) Is that helpful at all?

#4 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:36 PM

Sure is. It is probably ms office, and there are excellent tutorials here:http://www.5starsupport.com/tutorial/fonts.htm.If you can't get it done, come on back!!

Edited by gunner, 27 May 2005 - 10:38 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#5 panoopa

panoopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:43 PM

Thank you! Unfortunately, the steps listed at that site tell me to open my fonts folder in the control panel. This is where the problem occurs. Every time I try to open that folder, an error message is generated and my open windows shut down.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

#6 therickyshow

therickyshow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem. Has anyone came up with a solution for this. I can't open fonts in control panel, nor can I do it trying to explore the C Drive.

Any help would be appreciated because I feel like this --> :thumbsup: \

Thanks so much,
Ricky
http://eurekasprings-ar.info

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

I downloaded some new fonts for my computer and everytime I tried opening my fonts folder in order to install them, I would get an error message stating that an error has occurred and windows will be shut down.

Well you can always try it another way. Click on the Windows\Fonts folder in Windows Explorer then click on File\Install New Fonts... :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users