Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP can't boot up properly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaivalya959

Kaivalya959

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:08 AM

I have a laptop computer with Windows XP Home on it. It hasn't been used for quite a lot of time now (maybe about a few months at least..) as it is a spare machine....well today i decided to start the laptop and update everything in it but when i tried to boot it for the first time it didn't boot up in the way its supposed to...i had to manually switch it off. I tried various times to boot in safe mode and all the other options given but to no prevail. Also...i seem to have forgotten the admin password...but there is another limited account which has no password. How can i make this computer work proper again? Please help!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

It would be helpful if you could describe exactly what happens when you attempt to boot and load Windows in normal mode. Did you get to the log in screen? What is the last thing you see on your monitor?

By the way do you know if an administrator password was ever set for the administrator account? By default Windows XP Home will require no password to log in as administrator in safe mode. Did you get to the log in screen in safe mode?

#3 Kaivalya959

Kaivalya959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

When i press the power button, the manufacturer's splash screen appears and then a beep sound comes (which did not use to come before) and a black screen with options for booting in safe mode or the last known good configuration or to boot normally comes...if i press any of the safe modes some codes fill up the screen and then it just gets stuck...if i select last known good configuration then it comes up to the point where after the windows loading screen with the logo goes and the screen becomes empty....if i select boot windows normally it just continues showing the windows loading screen with the logo and the black background...it doesn't go after that.

#4 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:56 AM

If you didn't have a beep during the boot process before and now a beep probably indicates an error. On my machine one beep is a normal boot but I believe one beep can also mean an error code with certain bios types/versions. Is it a single beep or a combination of short and long beeps? Are you sure that it did not beep during boot before?

Knowing the model number of this machine, the bios type/version if you know it would help. I see you have a HP dv4 1030 from your profile but that machine is running Vista and the one you are having trouble with runs XP home.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:49 AM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Kaivalya959

Kaivalya959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hello again.

Well it seems that i found the recovery disc for the computer and i reformatted the laptop. Thanks for trying to help so far...by the way....now that the computer's working proper one more thing has come up...it cant connect to the internet for some reason. i am starting a new topic for that issue.

thanks anyway!

#7 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

Thanks Budapest,
I had confusion over the no beep before when system was OK and beep when system would not load properly. I never had AMI BIOS but it does list one beep as an error. However I know understand that this would be a repeated one beep with space in between and system would likely not boot at all.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Re the lack of Internet access: You can try updating/installing the network device driver.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users