Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to reinstall Ricoh Memory Stick Driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fingle

fingle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:42 AM

I have a Lenovo laptop (z60m). It has a Ricoh 4-1 Card Reader. It's always worked pretty great. The other day my computer started quickly making the "device detected" and "device removal sounds" constantly. It was like I was putting in and taking out an SD card over and over. Then it stopped. Suddenly my CPU was going really slowly. In Task Manager the System process (NOT System Idle Process) was running at 99%. I was quite confused. After doing some digging online I found out that this can be caused by a faulty driver. I opening up Process Explorer to see what was causing the System process to go nuts. It turns out it was a driver called "rimsptsk.sys." It's the Ricoh MS Driver. MS stands for Memorystick. I was able to pause the process in Process Explorer and my computer went back to normal. I realized the strange behavior of my card reader and the high CPU lag were connected. I went onto the Lenovo website and downloaded the driver package for the Ricoh 4-1 Memory Card Reader. I uninstalled the driver from Device Manager and then reinstalled from the Lenovo driver package. I restarted. At first it seemed like everything was okay, but then the same thing started to happen again. Since then I've tried many ways fixing the driver. I've updated from the device manager (said there was nothing to update). I've downloaded other driver packages for the Ricoh 4-1 Card Reader. Nothing works.

My question: Is there anyway to remove the drivers entirely and then reinstall them? If I uninstall the Ricoh 4-1 Card Reader from Device Manager and then restart, it just reappears after I log-in. I'm very confused. Right now I simply disable the process in Process Explorer and go about my business, but that stops my Card Reader from working. Help?

PS. There is a new drive (E:) in My Computer that wasn't there before called "MemoryStick." I think it appeared after my computer constantly made the "device detected" and "device removed" sounds. When I put an SD card into the Card Reader, it makes the "device removal" (instead of the "deviced detected") noise and the MemoryStick drive (E:) disappears from My Computer. When I remove the SD card, it comes back. It's like my Card Reader got confused and forgot how to work. Maybe a reformat is in order....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:36 AM

It could be that your card reader is faulty. Try to disable it in the device manager rather than uninstall.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fingle

fingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Yeah I figured it could be that the card reader just died. But I think I'll just reformat it as a last ditch effort.

Any other ideas?

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like the reader itself is actually faulty.

If you want to uninstall the driver completely you need to erase the driver file, you can figure out the file name and where it is by clicking "driver details" in the driver properties window. You will have to disable the device before removing the files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users