Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sign on prompt in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 newbreed424

newbreed424

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

I am having a problem with my computer and need to sign into safe mode to remove a program. The problem is that I am not prompted with a sign on in safe mode. How do I remove a program without using safe mode??? or how do enable the sign on for safe mode. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:08 AM

Hi newbreed424,

Do you mean that when you boot up your computer and click on the F8 key repeatedly, you do not come to the menu which includes different options for bootup including safe mode? Or do you mean, that when you come to the menu which includes Safe Mode and click on this option, you do not get the logon page and user names?

Normally programs are uninstalled via add-remove programs in Normal Mode. Is there a special reason why you need to remove this program in Safe Mode? Which program is it? What problems are you having? Is it a newly installed program?

Zllio

#3 newbreed424

newbreed424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hello Zllio,

To answer your first question, after hitting F8 during boot up, yes, I am prompted with the menu which includes different options for bootup including safe mode. What I meant to state is that when attempting to run my computer in safe mode, it goes through the loading phase and to the sign on screen, but the icons and password bar never load. I have left my computer on for many hours, without any change in the screen. I can see and move the mouse icon, but that is it. I have had this problem for a few months, I just never got around to fixing it. :thumbsup:

My dilema is that I can not sign into my computer through normal mode. When attempting to, I am prompted with a blue screen that states...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL

Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000000A (oxE1C35008, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x805A667A)

leaving my only option to hard boot my computer. I am convinced that my problem stems from an attempted Zone Alarm 2008 update for my Windows XP OS. This is because my computer was turned off halfway through the update.

In the advanced options menu, I selected Last Known Good Configuration for Windows XP Professional. The next screen to show up is the loading page, and then the blue page appears again with the same message as before.

I feel that I can solve my problem if I remove Zone Alarm, or revert to a previous good configuration

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

P.S. The problem of being unable to sign in to safe mode is not new, and has been occurring long before this newest problem. I believe this may have occurred from changing the loading sounds and images from the original loading settings. Of course this is just one of many possibilities...

#4 Blue Coconut

Blue Coconut

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:56 PM

good afternoon

welcome to the board

what model PC is this. HP dell etc

if this is home built, do yo know what BIOS you are running, AMI, Phoenix, award etc

also with the error code you show there should be one more line of text with it, do you remember what it is?

also also, sorry. Have you done any hardware changes to the computer, what happened just before the problem, do you know how to check basic componants inside the pc. I am just wondering if you have a piece of hardware that has failed. And as I tell all, please only do one thing at a time to the pc and make notes so that when you "fix" it or get near the problem you know what you did.

Lets rule out the simple stuff first.
Ever tried landing a city block? Its a rush one cannot describe.

#5 newbreed424

newbreed424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hello Blue Coconut,

My PC is a Dell Inspiron 1100. It is the stock computer with no physical upgrades. In response to your comment about missing lines of text, unfortunately there are no other pieces of information that appear. In response to checking components in my laptop, i have zero knowledge or skills.

Chris

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

Hi newbreed Chris,

Can you boot up into normal mode and go to a restore point from before your attempt at installing the update for Zone Alarm?

If you've never done this before, Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore
check the box to Restore my computer to an earlier time and click on Next. You'll see a calendar with highlighted dates. Choose one of the dates just preceeding these problems and allow your system to return to that date. See if the problem goes away.
If this doesn't work, go back into System Restore as per the above instructions, only this time choose the option to reverse the change you made.

Please try this before you do anything else, as this would negate the need for uninstalling Zone Alarm.

Thanks.
Zllio

#7 newbreed424

newbreed424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hello Zllio,

I am unable to boot in normal mode, therefore I am unable to perform a system restore through this method. I am also unable to revert to a previous good configuration though advanced options menu during startup.

#8 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi newbreed,

The problem you're having may or may not be directly related to the update of Zone Alarm. It's possible that when your system crashed during the installation that a file got damaged. In any case, in order to remove Zone Alarm, you have to get your computer to where it can boot up. How to do this will depend on whether or not you have the cd. Below are instructions for each.

You need to try a system recovery. If you have an XP recovery cd, please follow the instructions in the box:

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

If you don't have a recovery cd, then please see
XP Boot Fixes and look at the paragraph with the second link in blue.

Zllio

#9 newbreed424

newbreed424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

Ok, so I ran the system recovery cd completely, and then exited through the command prompt. I then attempted to restart normally and received a blue screen again. This time the error code changed to...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL

Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0xE1A8F008, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x805A667A)

I then attempted to run it in safe mode, and the same situation occurred as stated in my earlier post.

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hi newbreed,

The thing which is bothering me about the error you've quoted, is that the only reference to this error in Google is to your post here. If I put in 0x805A667A, I get a reference to this thread we are talking in now. If I put in 0xE1A8F008, I get no reference at all, not even to this thread here, which is a little bit curious, since I copy-pasted both of them out of this thread. I even corrected your 0's to ensure they weren't numbers where they should have been letters or vice versa. This leaves me wondering if this is an actual error message or one which has been put on your computer artificially. The latter would indicate the possible presence of malware. I will ask someone in the Am I Infected section to give your thread a read through and see what I'm missing.

Thanks.
Zllio

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:42 PM

Have you checked for faulty memory?
Try using one module at a time and see if that helps
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users