Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No power user on Server 2003

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Watcher07

Watcher07

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:05 AM

I've two questions, the first one about group policy in Windows Server 2003.

Since that there is no power user group on Server 2003, I was wondering which group has similar permissions to power user ?

My second question is how to schedule shutdown on a computer which is part of the Server 2003 domain from a user account, not administrator .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

Over my head, but this discussion caught my eye:
http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=135587
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RobertFranz

RobertFranz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

I've two questions, the first one about group policy in Windows Server 2003.

Since that there is no power user group on Server 2003, I was wondering which group has similar permissions to power user ?

My second question is how to schedule shutdown on a computer which is part of the Server 2003 domain from a user account, not administrator .

I'm going to dismiss your first question out of hand - it doesn't really matter what is similar to a general grouping of rights under a previous operating system.

Once you start playing with permissions, you'll see what I mean.

As to your second question - is the user actually logging in to the domain when they log in to windows, or just the local machine which is part of the domain?

It doesn't really matter that much, other than needing to provide alternate credentials at some point if it's a domain user account without shutdown rights.

IF the user has logged on to the domain, and is unable to log on locally, and doesn't have shutdown rights, you'll need to shut down via a method that allows you to provide alternate credentials that *do* have this right.

Here is an example of how to schedule a shutdown:

XP Auto Shutdown

Are you the admin?
Local shutdown isn't defined by default - so someone with domain admin authority specifically removed that right from the lusers in the Domain Security Policy..

If you don't have the authority to change that configuration, it would be irresponsible for me to offer you a "workaround."

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hi,
you can make a user a power user from thier local work station. They will have only user rights on the domain but power user rights on their PC.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

Hi Watcher07, what rights do you want to give the user o the domain? You have to be carefull as you don't wan't anyone working on the domain if they have no idea what they are doing. Have youset up 2003 just to test or is this part of your work?
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users