Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

extend a neighbor network to my house

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 namo

namo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

my neighbor has wireless router that is connected to the internet. They are willing to share the internet with me. The problem that I can get their signal just onside my house. what do I need to buy to extend their wireless signal to inside my house?

Note: I can not force them to change any of their setup

Edited by namo, 30 January 2009 - 03:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

Wireless routers have a limited range, the more they cost the better it is.

Just a thought, if your neighbour has given you permission to use his connection I would get that in writing just incase you ever have a falling out. You do know it is illegal to use an unprotected network without permission from the owner?
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

You do know it is illegal to use an unprotected network without permission from the owner?

If you pick up some open connections, how do you know who's it is? There's one I can connect to with just the name "Netgear".

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:42 AM

You do know it is illegal to use an unprotected network without permission from the owner?

If you pick up some open connections, how do you know who's it is? There's one I can connect to with just the name "Netgear".

Anybody? Thanks! And one other question on this same thing, can they get into your ocmputer by connecting to the internet this way?

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:30 AM

Is the router there using a Netgear router? I would have them change there SSID name from Netgear if possible just so you know that you are actually connecting to their network and not someone elses.

Also i would advise them to protect the network with a WEP/WPA key to stop any unauthorised use of the unprotected access. Then when you connect to the connection it should ask you to put in the WEP/WPA key which would confirm it is their network you are connecting to.

They would only be able to access your computer if you set up a workgroup and allow them the access.

In regards to sharing the connection, how close is this neighbor? Is it not possible to run an ethernet cable from their router into your home and then have your own router set-up? This would still use their connection but allow you more access/flexibility to your connection + a better wireless signal without having to alter their set-up (baring an extra cable) - This may not be feesable for you but just a suggestion.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:13 PM

When my daughter bought a flat she called me one day and asked a strange question...

"Do you think that my wireless connection could reach the chinese take-away?"

As this take-away was about half a mile away I said highly unlikely....why?

"Well, my boyfriend cliked network connections and we connected to a network call Bel kin!"

I'll let you work it out :thumbsup:
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#7 hub714

hub714

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

Ok so nobody has actually answered the question :thumbsup:

You need to get one of these things:

a. Wireless Repeater
b. Wireless Router to use as a repeater

At my house I have a router upstairs and my brother's old old laptop couldn't get a signal from downstairs, so I bridged another router downstairs with my upstairs one and now I have great coverage all through my house. This is done by flashing a different firmware in than the normal one and whether or not it works is dependent on the router you have and the router they have.

To use either one you will need a bit of technical knowhow.

Depending on what model you have for a router, it's possible it can already act as a wireless repeater without flashing the firmware.

I hope this helps.

#8 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:35 AM

Also i would advise them to protect the network

Little tough when you don't know who it is. And am only getting like 25% strengh, so not sure who I'm connecting with. And my neighbors' houses are at least 20 feet away from my house on either side. Getting about 18% from the one across the street, but they have WEP security.

#9 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

Also i would advise them to protect the network

Little tough when you don't know who it is. And am only getting like 25% strengh, so not sure who I'm connecting with. And my neighbors' houses are at least 20 feet away from my house on either side. Getting about 18% from the one across the street, but they have WEP security.

TBH it sounds like you trying to leach someone's connection without permission......just my opinion.

However if you have permission to connect to a neighbours network then im sure they won't mind changing the SSID so you know which available network you need to connect to. Also if they know your using the connection then you will be able to tell them to protect it because you know who's connection your physically using.

You are best of with a wireless repeater to boost the signal level in your home. Google it!
~ E-Mu ~

#10 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:33 AM

I have high-speed in the computer room (but no wireless), just using this USB antenna on a backup computer just to see if it worked. And keeping Windows updated til I take it up to a friend later on this month.

Was just surprised I kept connecting to Netgear (no security) and sometimes a few others that do have their security turned on. Like I said, was surprised to pick up anything from that far away, just playing with it.

#11 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

I just realised that Hawkeye hijacked this thread, i didnt check to make sure it was the OP still posting the questions which i suppose has led to a bit of confusion in my post.

Namo - if you still need help let us know!

Hawkeye - try not to hijack a thread as it leads to confusion. Also i would stop connecting to other peoples wireless connections, if they find out and trace who you are you can be prosecuted due to it being illegal. (even if your only playing around)
~ E-Mu ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users