Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

creating wireless subnetwork of wireless network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 namo

namo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:41 AM

A building has 5 apartment. I and my friend live in one of them. The manger has 16mbps internet and he is using strong wireless router that reach all five apartment. you can join his internet in your apartment and he will give you a user name and password. He has special router that he can set separate username and password for each user and he can limit the speed for each IP connecting to his router. If I join his internet, how I can have private wireless network between my computer and my friend's in our apartment and this private network is connected to the manager wireless router

what do I need to buy and how to set it up?

edit : the picture below explain what I need. Room 1 represent the manager apartment. the laptop and small device represent other users in the building. Room 2 represent what I want in my apartment but I want private wirless network instead of wired.
Posted Image

Edited by namo, 30 January 2009 - 03:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

Hm, interesting. You need to get a router with an 802.11whatever WAN-side with a wired network behind it, probably on the lowest budget possible... Scary thing is I've actually done this before. I think the easiest way to do this would be to create a bridge, to convert the wireless signal into an Ethernet signal, and then connect the Ethernet cable to your router.

One way that might work is to use a game adapter, such as the Linksys systems that are used to connect wired game consoles to wireless networks, except connecting the Ethernet cable to the WAN port of your router. This is the type of adapter that I am thinking of: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA11B-Wirel...r/dp/B0000AJVBW. There are others, depending on the type of network.

If that doesn't work for any reason, you could always get an old WinXP computer, install a $10 PCI wireless card in it, and bridge the wireless and wired network connections, then install a software firewall. This would turn the computer into essentially a firewalled gateway for your network. You would only use this computer to handle authentication on the wireless network and to bridge the connections (it becomes your equivalent of a cable modem).
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 namo

namo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hm, interesting. You need to get a router with an 802.11whatever WAN-side with a wired network behind it, probably on the lowest budget possible... Scary thing is I've actually done this before. I think the easiest way to do this would be to create a bridge, to convert the wireless signal into an Ethernet signal, and then connect the Ethernet cable to your router.

One way that might work is to use a game adapter, such as the Linksys systems that are used to connect wired game consoles to wireless networks, except connecting the Ethernet cable to the WAN port of your router. This is the type of adapter that I am thinking of: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WGA11B-Wirel...r/dp/B0000AJVBW. There are others, depending on the type of network.

If that doesn't work for any reason, you could always get an old WinXP computer, install a $10 PCI wireless card in it, and bridge the wireless and wired network connections, then install a software firewall. This would turn the computer into essentially a firewalled gateway for your network. You would only use this computer to handle authentication on the wireless network and to bridge the connections (it becomes your equivalent of a cable modem).

Does it work use USB WLAN adapter and connected it to USB female to Ethernet connector(one of those show in the picture below) and connect that to the iput of the router
Posted Image

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:45 PM

I take it you are referring to connecting the USB port to a wireless computer, and connecting the ethernet side to the router? That would work at least in theory, although I haven't tried it myself (not sure if it would show up as a bridgeable network connection).

Bear in mind, if you do use a computer as a bridge, this computer will exist outside your network. It will not be able to talk to the rest of your network for purposes of file sharing, etc. unless it is a Linux computer that you set up to be a router. This is generally a more advanced option.

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 30 January 2009 - 03:46 PM.

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users