Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I believe I'm infected, can't start windows w/o crashing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zarathustre

zarathustre

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

I have XP pro. Basically, a few days ago I downloaded a program to help with WoW interface and I believe it gave me a virus (yes dumb move, I know). It started screwing with my comp earlier today. No coincidence problems started after I downloaded an unsecure file. My computer rebooted itself for no reason with no warning. Now, whenever I try to log on, it loads up windows and gets to where you can see all the icons and begins to open programs, then freezes and shuts down about 3 seconds later.

Interestingly enough, now (within the past hour or so) my mouse is not working most of the time in safe mode (got it to work like 1/10 times), but my keyboard works. Tried another mouse and it didn't work either, changed the ports around and still doesn't work. Not sure if that has to do with my actual problem or not.

Anyway, back to the real problem:

Often (not always) when it reboots I will get blue screened and get STOP 0x0000007b error.

Other times I will get "a file in your registry had to be replaced with a log or a duplicate, and was successfully replaced" or something similar to that, and then my computer will shut down.

I cannot access windows at all because of this, or I'd download spyware/virus remover. Any idea if this is indeed a virus, and what should I do short of reformatting. I realize I am not a computer pro so take it easy :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

From your description and that error, you might have a boot-sector virus
Using another computer, go to this site:
http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html
and download the Avira AntiVir Rescue System

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users