Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tower Beeping, Acts Like It's Running, No Image On The Monitor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jade Knight

Jade Knight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:45 AM

This computer is a Compaq Presario 754n, a rather old model. As of recently it's been having trouble. When she started it up sometimes, the tower would make a beeping noise, it sounds like it runs, you can hear the fan blowing, but nothing is showing up on the monitor. The monitor itself works still, but I still can't see anything. A couple of times we dust out the inside of the tower (it was rather dusty, it sits on the floor under our desk), and it works again. But after doing it this time, it still refuses to work. A couple of people I've talked to told me it is possibly the RAM or the Graphics Card. I'm not sure though, so I came here from a reference of my friend to ask you. Help please? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Worth reading: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...ocname=bph07107

Louis

#3 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

How many beeps?

#4 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

One long beep for like 5 seconds, then it stops, then goes again. It'll keep doing that until we shut it back off.

#5 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

If its a long beep, it may be that something inside the tower is not connected well.

Check all the hardware if it is connected properly. Sometimes it would be the RAM.

Edited by Deadly Elegance, 01 February 2009 - 12:55 AM.

#6 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:53 AM

Okay, we did some investigating in the computer, fiddled with some wires and other objects and got these results:

We pulled this wire out near "Fan 1". Now it stopped the beeping, but now the computer doesn't want to start up.
Posted Image

Then after that, this fan stopped working :/.
Posted Image

This fan didn't work period for some reason, but the fan below does. I think the one that doesn't work is a exhaust fan.
Posted Image

And this was the wire that we pulled out from the first photo.
Posted Image

So the beeping stops, but now the computer doesn't load period, anyone know why?

Edit: Also if I confused anyone, it's actually a HP Pavilion 754n Desktop PC (US/CAN), I think I got the one I'm trying to fix and the one I'm using currently mixed together >.<.

Edited by Jade Knight, 01 February 2009 - 03:59 AM.

#7 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

The yellow wire that you pulled out is for power. without that wire the motherboard wont work.

Try to pull out everything and clean the gold part with contact cleaner. If you dont know where all the hardware is suppose to be, follow below

example : Remove the RAM, clean it, and put it back in. Then remove something else, clean it and put it back in.

Note: Be careful, not to damage any pins or anything else. You dont have to remove the CPU because if you damage 1 pin from it, it will be useless.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Deadly Elegance, 01 February 2009 - 04:17 AM.

#8 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

In the second photo, what is the silver object? Is that the CPU? And there are some clamps that are wrapped around it, I removed one on accident and not sure if I can get it back on, will it be ok with one not being there?

#9 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:30 AM

In the second photo, what is the silver object? Is that the CPU? And there are some clamps that are wrapped around it, I removed one on accident and not sure if I can get it back on, will it be ok with one not being there?

please put the strap back on. Without proper connection with the CPU and Heat sink. Your chip will overheat and burn up/shorten its life cycle.
Posted Image

#10 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

The silver object is the heat sink of the CPU. The CPU transfers heat to the silver object (heat sink) and the fan attached with it is to cool the heat sink.

Can you show me in a photo which clamps are you referring to.

Edited by Deadly Elegance, 01 February 2009 - 04:55 AM.

#11 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

On that 2nd photo, you see a long silver object near the top that's thin and looks like a ladder kind of? It's that and that one is the loose one actually. I'd edit it to show you better but I'm having browser problems :/.

#12 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

On that 2nd photo, you see a long silver object near the top that's thin and looks like a ladder kind of? It's that and that one is the loose one actually. I'd edit it to show you better but I'm having browser problems :/.

Yeah I think you said something about not able to put that strap back on hence my pleading with you to reconnect it.. My guess is, Its instantly overheating on initial start up. I'm just throwing that out there as a possible issue and a resolve.

Edited by Goldwyn, 06 February 2009 - 12:24 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:40 AM

It wasn't overheating even before I accidently unlatched it. I also reconnected the cable, but it still beeps :/.

#14 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 01:21 AM

ok. One other thing I've ran across myself by tinkering. I've had to re-seat my Video graphics card. Apparently When bumped it shifted it out of the socket just slightly. Causing the system to manically beep. I'd make sure everything is connected tightly. Make sure everything is bolted down.
Posted Image

#15 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

What does the graphics card look like? I'm not all together familiar with the inside of a computer lol :s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users