Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picture folders missing, Where?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Highveelocity

Highveelocity

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

I'm really starting to get scared here. I have at least 2 picture folders in my slave hard drive that are missing. I just used it 3 days ago. I found a bunch of copies of some if the photos in the recycle bin, but I did not put them in there. Where could they have gone? I am the only user for this computer also. Please help solve the mystery

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Highveelocity

Highveelocity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:30 AM

If I did a system restore to an earlier date, would that bring them back?

#3 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:39 AM

If I did a system restore to an earlier date, would that bring them back?

No. System Restore does not bring back data but will only return the registry to an earlier state.

If you found some of your photos in the recycling bin and you did not put them there yourself, have you looked at the date of when they were put there? Have you tried restoring them? If you try restoring them, where are they restored to?

One way folders get lost is because they get moved accidentally. Have you tried a computer-wide search for both the folders and some of the individual file names, to see if you can locate them that way? You can do searches that will give you different kinds of information. For instance, in the recycling bin, it should be possible to see when the photos were put in there. If you can see when they were put into the recycling bin, you may be able to locate the rest of them, by looking for all files from that date. You can search for all files, by putting *.* into the search section called "files and folders". Then set the date to the date the files went into the recycling bin up to the current date.

If your files were deleted and are no longer in the recycling bin, there is recovery software which will probably be able to recover them. It is best that you use your computer as little as possible, if the files were accidentally deleted so that you don't overwrite them.

Zllio

#4 Highveelocity

Highveelocity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Zillo. I did a computer wide search, including hidden folders, and they could not be found. I fired up the cd burner to make copies of the pictures that were still in there and then a weird thing happened, they all showed back up again! It turns out, there were 15 folders, about 1200 pictures, missing. They are all kept in "My Pictures" on my slave hard drive. How could they all of the sudden show back up? I am not an expert, but I'm definetely not a computer noob, I know I didn't move them myself. :thumbsup:

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

I don't know. I know computers can do surprising things, have strange problems that then disappear, have problems appear out of no where. All very mysterious. But I'm sure at the underlayers, there's a sense to it all.

I think backing them up is a good idea.

Also, I think it would be a good idea, after you back them all up, if you run chckdisk. To do that open My Computer and right-click on your C drive (or the drive where your operating system is located) and select the Tools tab. The top box is for running a check of your harddrive. Click on that button and allow it to check the disk. It will check your disk for hardware problems and if found, reroute your software around them. Then do the same with your other drives including the drive where your pictures are stored.

Zllio

#6 Highveelocity

Highveelocity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

Well, the folders showed back up but only about 3 pictures in each folder came back with it. That is very upsetting to me, and worse, my wife will bring this up every time we get on the computer. Could the hard drive be failing?

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:12 AM

Hi Highveelocity,

Don't give up easily.

Your harddrive might be failing. Did you try running chckdsk according to the instructions I gave you?

There's software to recover lost pictures and it has a high success rate. If the pictures were deleted somehow, then they would have simply been renamed which makes them invisible but not gone, therefore recoverable. If they ended up in a bad sector, that could be more problematic. The fact that the folders showed back up is a good sign. Please try running chckdsk to begin with.

Then take a look at some of these data recovery options:

The software by http://www.pcinspector.de is very capable. It's free, but a bit confusing.
Equally capable is the GetDataBack series at http://www.runtime.org. It costs, but is easier to use than PCInspector.

I've used both and they've worked very well for me (so well that I bought both versions of the GetDataBack series).

You can try Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery software. It recovers lost data, pictures, videos, images, documents, spreadsheet & web content from formatted, deleted hard drive.
Stellar Phoenix also helps to recover lost partition from FAT 16, FAT 32, NTFS & NTFS5 file system.
Download the demo from:http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
Demo shows the preview of the recovered data.

There were also some good words about this one: Recuva

For free data recovery software see here:
Disk Inspector - http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html
PC Inspector File Recovery - http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
Handy Recovery - http://www.handyrecovery.com/

I know. It's overkill, but good to know what all is out there.

Zllio

#8 Highveelocity

Highveelocity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Zillio. Lots of great information there. I did run the diskchek, but on the main harddrive. I am running diskckek on the slace right no. Thanks again.........Ernie

#9 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

Do you have a backup utility that you use?
These can be incorrectly used by the user of the program and set up to delete a folder without prompts for you to stop it.

You can use data recovery software to get your stuff back.

Personally I use commercial Seagate file recovery software when on the job, and it works well.
However at home I have only needed to use file recovery software once, and I believe the name was Power Data Recovery. It worked.
http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

You have a risk of not being able to recover using recovery software is if you have used the drive. Since it is a slave drive there is a high chance that you will be able to recover the data. The long searches of the drive may have made a small impact but nothing to sweat about.
The process will take a long time, and be sure you extract the recovered data OFF the drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users