Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Workgroup computers and Firewall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aznliu

aznliu

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

I have two computers linked and networked via a switch. Both computers have Norton 360. I can view the workgroup computers when the Norton firewall is disabled. And I have the Windows firewall enabled. My question is: Is just the Windows firewall enough for the computers? One computer is connected to the internet - the other is not. If I turn on the Norton firewall, I can't view my workgroup computers.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:59 PM

You should be able to setup Norton to permit the individual IPs of each computer on another, and very likely, permit incoming traffic from remote ports 137, 138 and 139 and 445 for TCP and UDP protocols from trusted computers on your network for SYSTEM. Likewise, permit the same local ports outbound to trusted computers on your network. Do the same for port 135 for SVCHOST.exe.

But I think Norton has a concept of a trusted network (or similar description) which would make it simpler than what I wrote above.

I don't use Norton, so can't help more. Do they say anything about setting up for Microsoft file and printer sharing in the Help file?

Windows firewall is not sufficient. And many firewalls don't play well when it is turned on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users