Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Tools

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 samjacob

samjacob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

I am an aspiring administrator of a small network

This is an open question requesting for help and suggestions to manage a network of 260 users
I am looking for network tools to monitor network problems from a pc taking up too much bandwidth to pc sending out spam, exchange tools or any other tools that help manage the network

All suggestion and advice is welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Do you mean something like a packet sniffer on the gateway to see all communications whereby you could watch the connections, protocols, all sorts of things on every individual packet? If so, try Wireshark, it's free, it's good
http://www.wireshark.org/download.html
It will give you the statistics or details.

It will not help you manage the network. Management is something else.

#3 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

One program I use on my network is a vulnerability scanner, called Nessus. Nessus lets me scan every computer on the network for vulnerabilities that could lead to a compromise. You can get more information from http://www.nessus.org/nessus/
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users