Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac scanning for ip address

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ranger81

ranger81

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Sorry to bother you guys again but my two month old 20'' I mac-which has worked flawlessly until now- won't go online. The Airport is scannig but can't find my IP address. My two other PCs work fine but Mr. Mac is dead in the water wireless connection wise. I'm new to Apple so I at a loss on what to do. Any help would be gratly appreciated! As I was shutting down Mr. Mac tonight I noticed that it says on the Network window that "Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet." Is this significant?

Edited by ranger81, 29 January 2009 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

Mr. Mac has lost the connection to the router. Try clicking on the Airport menu icon and see if your network is listed. Choose it and enter password if it is encrypted.
Look in Finder Help enter Airport in the Search box for more help.

#3 ranger81

ranger81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Buddyme2 you are indeed a buddy! Thanx again for your time and response. I'll try the things you suggested.

#4 ranger81

ranger81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

In my Network Utilites window in Info my IP address is unknown. How do I add an address there and will that correct the problem. Thanks
Edit...And while I'm at it can anyone recommend a good book or manual to deal with this sort of thing and other troubleshoting issues. I like to be able to fix things by myself and I feel helpless when I have to ask for help. Male pride I guess.

Edited by ranger81, 30 January 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:06 AM

In my Network Utilities my info has 192.168.1.102 as my IP address for my MBP, 192.168.1.101 for my PBG4 and 192.168.1.100 for our Dell. They are assigned by a Linksys router. Have you looked at the router settings?
Tutorial: Fixing Wireless connectivity (including AirPort) problems: Dropouts, slow speed, more
Google hits with troubleshooting wireless Mac OS X as a search term.

In the Network pane you can aslo try Assist me... button > Diagnostics... or Assist me... for some more troubleshooting.

Edited by Buddyme2, 31 January 2009 - 03:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users