Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All PC's won't connect in Workgroup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mikev9999

Mikev9999

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hello everyone,

If anyone is looking for a challenge, I think I might have it for you. First I'll describe the current LAN config.

A; 1 Desktop PC (Windows XP Pro SP3)
B; 1 Desktop PC (Windows XP Home SP2)
C; 1 Notebook PC (Windows Vista Ultimate SP1)
D; 1 Notebook PC (Windows Vista Home Premium SP1)
E; Wireless/Wired Linksys Router WRT54G

Here are the conditions that exist:

All devices belong to the same Workgroup
A; has a shared folder and printer
B; has a shared printer
C; has a shared folder and printer

Here are the success and failure issues:

All devices can ping the Router
All devices can ping B
A CAN connect to the shared printer on B
A can NOT see the shared folder on C
A can NOT ping C
C CAN connect to the printer on B
C can NOT see the shared folder or printer on A
C can NOT ping A

Sorry for the confusing way I presented this but I really couldn't see another way to do it.

Constants in play:
All the above conditions have been attempted with Windows Firewall both on and off
All the above conditions have been attempted before and after McAfee Security Center was installed on C
All the above Devices now have SpyBot Search & Destroy installed and McAfee Security Center installed

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mikev9999, 29 January 2009 - 09:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mikev9999

Mikev9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

I figured it out folks! :thumbsup:

Turns out even though the McAfee Security Center was set to allow internal LAN connections I needed to add an IP Range of trusted devices. Once I added the same IP address range that was installed on my Router everything connected. The reason that B was visible had to do with it being the first device installed with McAfee SC. MSC takes the first PC and uses it for the "master" PC. All others need to have the IP range added.

Thanks anyway, at least writing the message yesterday helped me think outside the box.
Take care everyone.

Edited by Mikev9999, 30 January 2009 - 12:27 PM.

#3 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for sharing solution which might help others. :thumbsup:

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users