Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control panel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sanorton

sanorton

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

I have had a problem with the control panel for over a month now.

Whenever I click on an icon in the control I get the following message:

'Windows cannot find 'C:\windows\system 32\rundll32.exe'

From the control paned I also cannot access Accessibility options, add hardware, automatic updates, date and time, display, game controllers, internet options, java, keyboard, mail, mouse, network setup wizard, power options, quicktime, realplayer, language options, security center, sounds and audio devices, speech, system, user accounts, windows firewall, and network wireless setup.

I have run many malware apps and still have the problem with the control panel. I corresponded with chryssi2001 at this site:

BleepingComputer.com > Security > HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal

and under this topic: Access to control panel, cannot access any programs

I ran Hijackthis, Copmbofix, Kaspersky, and several other programs but none corrected the problem. I cannot remove any programs from my computer, cannot change the resolution, etc.

I am currently running Stopzilla, Comodo internet security, avast on-access scanner.

Currently I am connected to the intenet but the local area connection icon says: "Acquiring network address" but I am connected. I have had to reboot lately to even get online. The computer starts but doesn't connect unless I disable Comodo and reboot.

I would appreciate any help I could receive. I am on the verge of recovery to solve this problem but don't want to lose my data.

Thanks,

sanorton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:22 AM

Do you still have a open HJT Log? If you do then you shouldn't make any changes to your computer unless it is requested by the HJT Team member that is helping you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sanorton

sanorton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

dc3,

The only changes I made were at the advice of a member of this site.

sanorton

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

The only person at this site you should be taking advice from is the HJT team member who is advising you if you still have an active HJT Log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 sanorton

sanorton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

dc3,

I don't think the HJT log is active.

sanorton

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:24 AM

From the control paned I also cannot access Accessibility options, add hardware, automatic updates, date and time, display, game controllers, internet options, java, keyboard, mail, mouse, network setup wizard, power options, quicktime, realplayer, language options, security center, sounds and audio devices, speech, system, user accounts, windows firewall, and network wireless setup.

The program Superanitspyware has a repair section and in there it has an entry that says enable control panel. I am not sure what it does since I have never used it, but it sounds like it would reenable everything in it. Seems to me it would be worth a try, especially since the program is free

#7 sanorton

sanorton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:07 PM

Stang777,

I took your advice but no change.

Thanks,

sanorton

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

Stang777,

I took your advice but no change.

Thanks,

sanorton

Awww, that stinks, I am sorry that did not work and your very welcome. I just wish it had helped :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users