Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ANTIVIRUS 360 Cripples Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ratso

ratso

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hi all; I have a buddy and a client who have encountered the new variant of "Antivirus 200x" called Antivirus 360. According to the info on the BP removal instructions, it says all that is needed is Malwarebytes. I had installed MB on my buddies computer to remove Antivirus 2009, which it seemed to to a great job at. Now he's got Antivirus 360, and when he opened MB to update it, it wouldn't load. I also have a client with AV360-I tried installing the latest version of MB directly from my flash drive, which normally works beautifully, but it wont install the program. I re-read the removal instructions and admit, I can have some major blindspots, but I haven't seen any reference to this problem. Do I need to go into the Registry and remove keys and listed entries first? Any suggestions? Thx! :thumbsup:
Nicodemus knew~! So should you~!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

#3 laruku

laruku

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

you might want to check first your device manager and then click on view -> show hidden devices. under non-plug and play devices check if you have a TDSSserv.sys entry. As for my experience with the Antivirus 200x variants, those that came with TDSS are the ones that disables antivirus/antispyware software to run. if you find a TDSSserv.sys entry you should follow the removal instructions for that first before you run your antivirus/antispyware software..

#4 Reddoug

Reddoug

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

I had the same problem with XPAntivirus2009. I was finally able to install and run Malwarebyters in safe mode to remove the virus. Took a couple of trys to get it to load.

Good luck, Reddoug

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

To add to Reddoug's post, if you are scanning in safe mode, always make sure you run a FULL scan, not a quick scan. The MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) safe mode version is not as powerful than the Normal Mode version.

Also if you have problems scanning, you can try the command line version of MBAM.

Command Line Parameters
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware supports a few simple, but important, command line parameters. To start the program using command line, simply click the Start Menu, Run, and type the following:

mbam.exe /parameter
(where parameter is one of the following)

/debug: allows you to collect information to send as a bug report.
/developer: this command line parameter is explained in the false positives section.
/minimized: allows you to start the program minimized.
/quickscan: allows you to run a quick scan.
/quickscanterminate: allows you to run a quick scan. Program terminates if no items found.
/fullscan: allows you to run a full scan.
/fullscanterminate: allows you to run a full scan. Program terminates if no items found.
/runupdate: allows you to update the program without displaying result dialogs.
/register: allows you to register the program without displaying main dialog.

Example: mbam.exe /register 12345 AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD

/updateshowdialog: allows you to update the program displaying all dialogs.

Example: mbam.exe /quickscan

EDIT: Reference

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 31 January 2009 - 02:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users