Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgradeing/ compatibilty

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tettra

tettra

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

hey guys i was wanting to upgrade my mother board (with a built in sound card and cpu.
I currently use windows xp but will soon be going to vista (maybe in a month)

I have a emachines w3052
I also don't know what motherboards are compatible with this model
everything is factory stock except for the video card and my extra ram

my question is since motherboards do not include ram and video cards
I was pretty much looking for a decent/new motherboard/cpu bundle in the 200$ish range that my current ram and video card would be compatible with

Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro 512 MB AGP Graphics Card

* 128-bit GDDR2
* VGA TV out
* DVI/HDTV

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

thats my current hardware i would like to keep during this.

I also found a computer at a pawnshop with this motherboard. would it be simpler to purchase this pc and move all my hardware over to it? or would the items in question not be compatible with it?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...AIN#detailspecs

any ideas or other suggestions are welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suggest that you change the way that you are approaching this...since you are willing to spend circa $200 on a replacement board that is outdated and may not be reasonably upgradeable. I suggest that we make an assumption that you are going to replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM.

The fact that you want to continue to use an AGP graphics card is not necessarily a good thing. I understand wanting to use parts because they still function (I have an apartment overflowing with such), but it really is not a good plan. Newer components are faster, better, etc and relatively inexpensive, IMO.

For purposes of comparison, http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem1831.a..._-email_wem1832

This would give you a considerably better, newer system...and you could still buy a newer, faster PCIe video card, if you desire: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...u=B450-2340%20D

These systems are inexpensive, functional, and superior to any that you would have come up with using your original approach...at least consider them from the standpoint of spending your money in the most optimum manner.

I'm partial to being a frugal person myself, I understand the concept of maximum value for the dollars spent.

The link you posted from TD...it's only a CPU/motherboard combination. IMO, it's smarter to get CPU, motherboard, RAM, case, and PSU...and you don't have to worry about trying to marry older computer parts with a system core that is relatively far ahead of what components you have on hand.

<<I also found a computer at a pawnshop with this motherboard. would it be simpler to purchase this pc and move all my hardware over to it? or would the items in question not be compatible with it?>>

Simpler, yes. Satisfactory...maybe, depends on you. I am very skeptical of ever buying computer components from an individual on eBay or a pawn shop. Is there a warranty period on that pawn shop system? Do you really believe that they care if the system works or not? And so on...

It's your money, it's up to you to determine how and when to spend it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2009 - 08:48 PM.

#3 tettra

tettra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:13 AM

wow, never knew they had pc kits that cheap o.o I have a question though, since i have xp on my system, if i use one of those kits and use my HD as master. will xp be available or would i need to reinstall it? and would my ddr ram be able to be instlled in these? i read that ram is backwords compatible

Edited by tettra, 30 January 2009 - 03:48 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

With a Windows operating system there are registry entries that are recognized from the chipset of the motherboard, when you install the hdd with another motherboard the registry will see new entries for the new chip set and will not know which ones to use, this could cause the operating system to fail to boot. In most cases you will need to reinstall the operating system.

RAM is backward compatible, for example, your computer uses 184-pin DDR modules in PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200. You can install two modules of different speeds like one of PC2100 and one of PC3200, but the speed will always revert to the speed of the slower module, in this case the PC2100. This is where the compatibility ends though, the newer DDR-2 RAM modules are physically different enough that they will not work in the same motherboard that uses DDR modules.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:53 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suggest that you change the way that you are approaching this...since you are willing to spend circa $200 on a replacement board that is outdated and may not be reasonably upgradeable. I suggest that we make an assumption that you are going to replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM.

The fact that you want to continue to use an AGP graphics card is not necessarily a good thing. I understand wanting to use parts because they still function (I have an apartment overflowing with such), but it really is not a good plan. Newer components are faster, better, etc and relatively inexpensive, IMO.

For purposes of comparison, http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem1831.a..._-email_wem1832

This would give you a considerably better, newer system...and you could still buy a newer, faster PCIe video card, if you desire: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...u=B450-2340%20D

These systems are inexpensive, functional, and superior to any that you would have come up with using your original approach...at least consider them from the standpoint of spending your money in the most optimum manner.

I'm partial to being a frugal person myself, I understand the concept of maximum value for the dollars spent.

The link you posted from TD...it's only a CPU/motherboard combination. IMO, it's smarter to get CPU, motherboard, RAM, case, and PSU...and you don't have to worry about trying to marry older computer parts with a system core that is relatively far ahead of what components you have on hand.

<<I also found a computer at a pawnshop with this motherboard. would it be simpler to purchase this pc and move all my hardware over to it? or would the items in question not be compatible with it?>>

Simpler, yes. Satisfactory...maybe, depends on you. I am very skeptical of ever buying computer components from an individual on eBay or a pawn shop. Is there a warranty period on that pawn shop system? Do you really believe that they care if the system works or not? And so on...

It's your money, it's up to you to determine how and when to spend it.

Louis

Wow Louis, that barebone system is cheap for the quality components. I am reusing an MSI K9Neo V3 mainboard that had XP installed. I removed it from one case and now will use it in a Vista OS build. I have the mainboard Vista disk, must I change the cmos to effect this new build? I mean must I short Jumpers or pull the battery, or can I just fire it up and run the Vista cd and it write over the XP cd??
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 tettra

tettra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

I looked at the barebone kits and may end up buying one depending on the answer to this question

If i purchased the following motherboard would i be able to install it into my emachine w3052 case?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...MBM-A780GM-5800

and would this ram be compatible with it?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?EdpNo=4327068

I really like the motherboard and after adding the case,pu,mobo,ram,fans and such to just build a new pc it added up to around 400$. I'm kinda on a budget so if it's possible to just upgrade my current system I would much rather do that.

(wish there was a barebones kit with that motherboard)

oh and anther question on tiger direct there are copys of windows vista like this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...=M17-7402%20SP1

is there any limitations/difference between that version and the more expensive version(retail). I read somewhere with that version you can only install it one time and if your system crashes you would not be able to reinstall.

Edited by tettra, 01 February 2009 - 12:00 AM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Yes there are, the OEM edition is meant for a single PC. PC is defined as the motherboard in the license, once installed you can only replace the motherboard with an exact match. Otherwise, you will violate the license. Also, OEM does not come with tech support. This is because OEM editions are to be distributed with new PC's, typically from Dell or HP who provide the support. Also, do not get Home Basic. It is a crippled version of Vista, go with Home Premium. Your motherboard is compatible with that RAM, however, the RAM is slow. I suggest getting DDR2-1066 RAM with that motherboard to maximize performance. DDR2-800 RAM is also supported. Be aware that if you're saving money, you can get the same motherboard and a better CPU at Newegg for less money. Obviously, if you get a less powerful CPU you will save even more money.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz. - The better processor. $89.99
Motherboard: ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G - Same motherboard. $69.99 (Before $10 mail-in rebate.)

Total: $158

Edited by DJBPace07, 01 February 2009 - 12:34 AM.

3939.png

#8 tettra

tettra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

nice, so i'm guessing i can install this motherboard in my emachine w/ little problems and install the window vista oem version after everything is working?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:14 AM

Yes, assuming the eMachines power supply you have doesn't use proprietary connectors.

3939.png

#10 tettra

tettra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:41 AM

"This power unit has one (1) 20+4 ATX connector, one (1) ATX12V connector, one (1) Serial ATA connector, four (4) peripheral power connectors, and one (1) floppy drive connector"

I guess i'll just have to build a new system from scratch then? or do i have anther alternative?

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:02 AM

That PSU looks standard, you should be able to upgrade it without buying a new system. If not, a new power supply is not that expensive.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users