Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help Me Fix My 120 Gig External HDD Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ctc_amor

ctc_amor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

I have a 120 Gig external hard drive.
It is not partitioned.

My computer is running on Win XP.
My computer detects my 120 Gig external hard drive.
I opened Windows Explorer.
I clicked on H: --> That's my 120 Gig external hard drive.
And it tells me "This drive is not formatted. Format it now?"
So I say "Okay."
It tries to format it but after a couple of minutes formatting it, it tells me "Unable to format drive."

So, I went to the command prompt.
I typed "format H:"
And then it tells me "The type of file system is raw Please use the /FS switch to specify the file system you wish to use on this volume."

From there, I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know what an /FS switch is.

Please give me a step-by-step process on what I should do to fix this problem.
Can this be remedied?
Or am I just going to throw away my 120 Gig External HDD?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Well...if it's not partitioned, then XP would not be able to see it in My Computer.

It would show up in Disk Management...but not in My Computer/Explorer. XP only sees partitions/drives which are formatted in recognizeable formats (FAT or NTFS).

Sooo...you may want to check a few other things out.

The fact that you received a message indicating that a file system is detected...lends credence to my speculation that it is indeed formatted.

I'd take a look in Disk Management for details...Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Details should be revealed in lower portion of screen.

If you so desire, you can also format from Disk Management.

AFAIK, most (if not all) external drives come already formatted...so that owners can use them instanteously. From what I see, a damaged hard drive may display as a RAW file system in XP. It probably would not hurt to run a hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on that drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users