Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS not updating properly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mauver

Mauver

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

Hi. After taking care of some virus issues I was having yesterday thanks to my roommate giving me a flash drive infected with resycled/boot.com, I'm having some left over DNS issues on another computer of mine. I can use nslookup just fine and I can load google through 74.125.45.100, but I can't access google through google.com. I've looked through my registry and have found that there is no information under HLM/SYSTEM/CCS/Services/Tcipip/Parameters/DNSRegisteredAdapters, which I suspect may have something to do with the problem. I tried manually entering registry information for the interface I'm using, but to no avail. I've tried to do a system restore but my "next" button stops working for some reason. I've tried using WinsockXPFix, which rebuilds the (previously missing) entries in Parameters/Winsock, but doesn't fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:55 PM

To try to narrow down the issue, if you were to ping google.com from the command line, does the ping utility return a correct IP address? This is a quick test to indicate if the problem is with DNS or something higher up. As nslookup is working, I am inclined to believe that the issue is more involved than just DNS.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#3 Mauver

Mauver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

To try to narrow down the issue, if you were to ping google.com from the command line, does the ping utility return a correct IP address? This is a quick test to indicate if the problem is with DNS or something higher up. As nslookup is working, I am inclined to believe that the issue is more involved than just DNS.

Pinging google.com generates no response, but I can do an nslookup on google.com and I get the right IPs (74.125.45.100, 74.125.67.199, 209.85.171.100) and if I go to those IPs on my browser I get the google home page.

#4 Mauver

Mauver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

I suppose I may as well toss some more info out there as to why I think this has to do with DNS: No browsers are capable of loading web addresses, but any can handle an IP. If I try to load an address, it sits there at "looking up <address>" until it times out. Things like MSN Messenger simply will not connect at all. I can actually use IRC, but only if I get the server's ip through nslookup first. I can ping any IP. I'm connected through wireless, but that's not the problem, because even if I connect through CAT5 behind the router I'm still incapable of loading an address. Besides that, I'm on a different computer right now which is connected to the internet through the same network and can access web addresses just fine. Does anyone have any other solutions?

I have tried using OpenDNS as well, and even with my DNS servers set to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 it doesn't work.

Edited by Mauver, 29 January 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#5 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

When you ping Google, which message did you get?

C:\Users\you>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [x.x.x.x] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from x.x.x.x: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for x.x.x.x:
	Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

or did you get:

C:\Users\you>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and
try again.

C:\Users\you>

Also, what version of windows are you using, and if you go into your network connections list, what connections do you have listed? It is possible that your browsers are defaulting to a different connection than what your nslookup is using.
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users