Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is localhost:kpop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 meljohns

meljohns

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

I use a USB Broadband modem for internet access and periodically run netstat, appeasing my curiousity mostly. Today is the first time I've ever seen this line item when entering netstat in the Command Prompt: localhost:kpop

When I tried searching Google to see what it was, the only references I found seemed to be malware/virus inquiries. I was unable to find any information that answered my "what is this?" question, and now I'm concerned that I may have a security issue. I use Windows Defender and AntiVir. I used to have AVG but it really bogged down my system. Thank you in advance for any insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:59 PM

kpop is generally e-mail protected with Kerberos authentication.

"> KPOP is a variant of POP3 that uses Kerberos 4 authentication rather
> than plain text password exchange."

from: http://www.computerengineering.ca/support/secure_mail.php
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users