Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HijackThis downloads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

I had adware menaces, 'mediaaccess and counterparts.'

I found some info on another site and went for it. All went well, but I got a little confident that I could fix some other issues I have had as well as come up with some fool-proof protection, but I cannot determine what is what.

I have a few basic questions that I have yet to see the answers to:

What does one need to download, open and use Hijack This? The two attempts I made failed because it 'went' to Microsoft Picture This! and; well, it couldn't open it.

Is it user friendly? so that when I get it to work, I can easily attain a log to see what I am doing?

Is there somewhere that I can analyze samples to see what what is? (I tried to read the tutorial, but the print was a headache maker!)

Yes... I am a babe at this and my computer is a donosaur! (Windows 98)

I don't know ... ? !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

You should not try to fix anything with HJT, unless you have been properly trained in it's use.
HJT is a tool used to locate "problems".
The removal of these "problems" is sometimes much more involved, than just having HJT fix it.
The improper use of HJT could also cause damage to your system.

I suggest you post a HJT log for our Team to examine.
They'll take you through the fix, step by step.

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

Hey there!

I did the Spybot program and am trying to download Adaware SE @ the site provided in the tutorial about it.

When I click on the free button to download, it does nothing! I even right clicked and tried to open it in a new window, but the same page opened to where I had just came form! Is there another link for this adware program?

By the way Spybot was great!! I saw A LOT of stuff on my computer that I want to permanantly delete, when I get to that! First things first, though.

After I get all this cleaning done, what is the best protection out there? Norton doesn't seem to be the best afterall.

Thanks so MUCH!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

Here's another download site:
Ad-Aware

A couple of good free Antiviruses (chose just one):
AVG Free
Avast

A couple of good free Firewalls (chose just one):
Sygate
ZoneAlarm

I would also recommend using these:
aČ Free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap
Spywareblaster - prevents spyware from being installed on your PC
Spywareguard - provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

Hello again!

I went to download.com and found the free program and downloaded it. I ran it last night.

It went well. I discovered some new stuff. SOme of the program titles I saw flashing across my screen caught me eye so I wrote them down. (They included Claria, Backdoor.GwGh, Backdoor.dak, BearShare, C2.LOP and of course, what I knew about already: GAIN and the mediaaccess trio. I followed the tutorial and have 38 monsters in quarantine. I did not delete them as the tutorial said in order to test my computer. It seems there is a problem.

It is A LOT slower. When I attempted to type this up on it, it hte middle of the post i lost the typing ability. I could delete, copy and drag my sentences, but I reached a point where I could not type anymore.
Before I connected to the net, discovered a few new programs running all the time that did not before. ( Before I connect to the net) I always shutdown programs not necessary like: Mswheel, AIM, Point 32, OSA and Rundl. Joining these now are: FindFast, Mhprmind, Mhprmdx, Mcwkscal and Wkcalrem.
I tried to search for them, but I didn't get any hits. Do you know what they might be?

I decided to run scandisk and defragmentation on SAFE MODE before I did anything else. Is there a tutorial on this predicament? That is, what if quarantine of the meances has an adverse affect on a computer? If scandisking & defragmenting in SAFEMODE do not fix my problem, what more can I do? Will scandisk and defragmenting negate the quarantine or interfere with it in any way?

Three days of progress and on the fourth I am back to the beginning?!

Thanks for the info on additional resources! When I get there I will do it.

I appreciate your devotion to my cause!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

Looks like they're all MS programs.

Findfast.exe - Complete utter waste of space! Part of MS Office - searches disk drives for Office file types to make opening them easier
MHPRMIND.EXE - Microsoft Home Publishing greetings reminder. Unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts as you can run it manually when necessary.
Mhprmdx.exe - Microsoft Graphics Studio Home Publishing & Greetings
Mcwkscal.exe - Microsoft Works Calendar
wkcalrem.exe - Produces a pop-up reminder of events scheduled using the MS Works Calendar

Did you ever post a HijackThis log?
If not, follow the instructions above, and post one.

#7 alpad

alpad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

Can I turn them off? I don't recall the option to turn them on! Perhaps quarantining the misers who were running these services and inviting the menaces in were working in their place and disabled them?

Oh yeah ... what about the quarantining of the 48 problems? Should I go ahead and delete them even though it appears their quarantine has affected my computer? Are that it is working much slower and the letters and numbers on the keyboard freezing up a symptom of them taking something I need with them to the quarantine? I don't want to delete something I need.

No, I haven't done the HijackThis thing yet. If you say it is safe to go ahead and delete those in quarantine with AdAware SE, I will do so and then proceed to downloading HijackThis and run it to post the results. (I am anxious to do so.)

After editing post I add this:

My scan disk and defrag went well, now gotta see how it performs. If all is good, I will delete what is in quarantine tonight.

I browsed through the tutorial on HijackThis. It seems as simple as AdAware SE was.

Edited by alpad, 30 May 2005 - 09:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users