Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble renaming my boot.ini file Stuck reboot loop.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rangerstx

Rangerstx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:46 PM

According to a tutorial from this site, I need to rename my boot.ini file to boot.ini.bak.

I did it according to the tutorial but I get "The rename operation failed".

What am I doing wrong? I am doing it at the C prompt as I should the line as I am prompted to
and it looks like C:\>ren C:\boot.ini Boot.ini.bak

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I guess that I have ask...why do you want to rename your boot.ini?

Did you create a new boot.ini file? Do you intend to create a new file?

Can you provide a link to the tutorial which you are referring to, so that we can see context and intent?

Thanks.

Louis

#3 Rangerstx

Rangerstx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

It was the tutoial for bootingo windows safe mode for XP. Can't link because I am posting on my iPhone .

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

Found it, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/ .

"If a situation like this has happened to you it is possible to fix this problem by renaming your boot.ini file. The first step would be to use a boot disk to start your computer. If your computer does not have a floppy disk, then you can typically boot off the Windows CD that came with your computer in order to access the Windows Recovery Console. More information about the Windows Recovery Console can be found here. Once booted to a command prompt, you would simply rename your C:\Boot.ini file to another name like C:\Boot.ini.bak. The command to rename the file at the command prompt is:

ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak

Once the file is renamed, you can then remove the boot disk and reboot your computer to get back to normal mode. When booting up after the rename, do not be surprised if you see an error stating that you do not have a valid Boot.ini file. When you get back to normal Windows mode, you can then rename C:\Boot.ini.bak to C:\Boot.ini and run Msconfig again to remove the /safeboot flag.
"

Not familiar with this, from here it looks like the command is properly typed. Wait for input from someone more knowledgeable about such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users