Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's There, You Just Don't Know It

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bochulain

Bochulain

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Keep in mind, I'm serious when I say the easy answers don't work. I did them and the hard ones. I gave up.

One of my clients had a mobo burn out, so we risked the impossible and swapped the HDD to a new box. The gods smiled and XP allowed it, although it required new drivers for much of the hardware, as expected. Once all the yellow question marks were gone, we noticed that sound was still missing.

I checked for incompatibilities, I removed extraneous drivers and devices (had to find a trick for that one), verified the embedded sound chip was enabled, even swapped the board again (fingers crossed). Booted to the factory installed HDD and verified sound worked, swapped again, sound's not only gone, but the device evades all scans. As a last ditch effort, I messed around in the registry of the good install and found one minor difference I could identify, although I was sure it wasn't enough, and was proven right when I merged it. I finally gave up and ran a repair on it, and of *course* that worked, but I've got updates out the bottom and various software failures to handle now.

I was THAT CLOSE. What went wrong? What could I have done to fix it? On that note, why do the toys I love have to suck this very, very much? Thank you and goodnight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Since you say that you have done so much research...then you know that moving a hard drive from one system to another...is always an accident waiting to happen.

Is it possible? Yes, I and others here have done it. But it involves a bit of editing and, in my case, a repair install using a valid Microsoft XP CD...this allows the proper drivers and settings to be recognized/installed.

In my case, I uninstalled all of the old drivers for functions (video, audio, etc.) before I shut the system off to remove the hard drive...and I did the repair install before I worried about the proper drivers.

As for removing extraneous drivers...I did that upon completion of the install, using How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html . This was my second removal of drivers, since I had removed the main drivers (audio, video, etc.) which had been used in the former system...before I shut down.

IMO, nothing went wrong...other than possibly your expectation that it would be easy and successful.

IMO, a good reference: Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#3 Bochulain

Bochulain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

IMO, nothing went wrong...other than possibly your expectation that it would be easy and successful.

Hey man, I'm not claiming tech godliness, and I'm certainly not questioning your superiority at operating system support. I can say that I at *no* point expected this to be easy and successful. Like I said, the gods smiled and swapping the drive managed to work. That much was fine, and I'd have left it at that if it were any other client. I was avoiding the repair because of the stuff you and I both ended up doing.

Computers aren't magic though. I'm happy to perform the usual voodoo of sacrificing the soul of the installation on an altar of goat bones prior to transfer into a new system, then summoning the gods of hardware to bless the new system with life, but with so many changes being made in this mystical process, it'd be nice to know what's *really* happening. I get what happened to the hardware that did work, why the drivers needed a trick to be removed, and how the applications react when a repair is done, as well as why the updates magically disappear while their files stay intact. So far, all of the above involves specific entries in the registry and adjustments of base system files. I just wanted to know what makes an OS fail to recognize data sent to it from the BIOS during boot, and if there were a known issue/solution surrounding it. If you don't know, that's fine, but don't bother me unless you know something I don't.

Edit: BTW, that's the same procedure I found for removing extraneous drivers, although I went with the batch file mentioned later in the replies. More straightforward, I thought.

Edited by Bochulain, 30 January 2009 - 09:17 AM.

#4 Blue Coconut

Blue Coconut

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:15 AM

good afternoon Bochulain,

I was just reading your post.

I don't understand what your posting about. Do you have a problem with your pc now? If so what is the problem. As far as drivers, and forcing, depending on your board, OS, Bios and hardware all play into the factor. There is a particular order when forcing drivers and which drivers to load first.

To find a starting point what is the problem. Thats it. Computers do seem a pain, but they just follow an order. Be patient and make 1 change at a time. Especially when I read that you

I messed around in the registry of the good install and found one minor difference I could identify, although I was sure it wasn't enough, and was proven right when I merged it.

Take a deep breath hold it and exhale.

Now tell us what your computer is doing, or not doing right now.

Best Regards

Blue
Ever tried landing a city block? Its a rush one cannot describe.

#5 Bochulain

Bochulain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

Take a deep breath hold it and exhale.

Now tell us what your computer is doing, or not doing right now.

Gentlemen, gentlemen. Relax. It's not that serious.

In answer to your question, my client's computer is functioning properly in all ways, shapes, and forms.

Do you know what circumstances need to occur in Windows XP to cause it to be unable to recognize the presence of a fully functional onboard device? See the opening post for details.

If you do not know what circumstance causes this, nor do you wish to begin an entertaining and educational discussion of the inner workings of an operating system, feel free to move along. If you do, or have had similar circumstances to discuss, by all means, jump in. The water's surprisingly cold right now, but I'm hoping it'll warm up a little.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Some reasonings here:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Bochulain

Bochulain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well, looking it over again, that does point out the difficulty of moving a hard drive from one mobo to another, and does point out the general nature of conflicting device drivers, but I was hoping for a specific cause of this issue. A repair or upgrade would definitely fix the issue by effectively initializing the installation, but what specifically was changed in the process that wouldn't be otherwise?

Keep in mind that, in my specific case, in an incredible stroke of luck, the transition was arguably flawless. The system booted as though nothing had happened short of having some hardware lose it's drivers. I'm almost inclined to think that it saw the CPU as identical, although off the top of my head I don't remember what brand/model it was in each box.

When I was comparing the functional install (the one that was on the included HDD) with the disfunctional one (the one on the HDD that had been moved from the previous computer), I looked in the registry and found that under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\HardwareProfiles\Current\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\, there was a key for HDAUDIO that was not in the other installation. I assumed that there was more to it than that one key, but since I was pretty much resigned to running a repair on the HDD, I exported the key and merged it with the other install, figuring I had nothing to lose. Of course, nothing happened, so I did the repair and all went well.

What I'm wondering is whether finding the sufficient set of registry keys would have forced the installation to recognize the hardware, or if removing a conflicting extraneous key would have allowed the installation to see the hardware. The fact is that the installation was capable of seeing it, but something was stopping it. While I know it's an incredibly intricate system, I'm hoping that between the lot of us in this forum, we might have enough information to work out what specifically was the limiting factor. Lack of hardware for experimentation does make it more difficult, but if it looks like we're on to something, maybe I can get my hands on something to replicate the circumstances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users