Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio? Might Be missing sound card...not sure

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Hey there folks...kinda new to any chat/help forums so please excuse any oddities about my request. I recently got a new dell powerEdge 400sc from my girlfriends office since they were throwing it away. I reintstalled windows...removed everything the company was using and all their files and began to install my software. As i started my itunes i noticed the play bar was not moving and began to check my audio settings..in my device manager i have 2 audio codec..1 legacy audio driver..1 legacy video capture device..1 video control device and 1 video codec under my sound, video and game controllers..when i search for my sound card i find nothing..in the rear of my desktop there are jacks for audio ins and outs as well as a microphone which leads me to believe there is a soundcard. Might check myself but have little experience inside the hardware of a desktop.
Thanks in advance for any help or replys

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

When you reinstalled the operating system did you also install the drivers?

Did you use the Dell installation CD?

Edited by dc3, 29 January 2009 - 12:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:24 PM

ya...used the dell installation cd...when i run my mouse over the audio codecs and the legacy driver in my device manager a pop up displays a bbble saying its working fine

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Well...if the back displays audio input/output jacks, that's not supported by the original configuration and maybe someone added/installed an actual sound card in one of the PCI slots.

It's probably missing drivers. In order to get the correct drivers, you need to take a look at the card and model and let us know.

In any case, you need to take a look inside to see if you have any free slots...before planning tentatively on installing anything.

With the case lying on its side, there should be a single screw which secures the card to the case. If you remove that and just lift the card straight up, it will come out of the socket and you will be able to see manufacturer and model of the card. Give us that info and we can find the drivers (hopefully).

Louis

Edited to add original specs: http://www.webmadeeasy.net/ComputerDocs/De...de/j0323aa0.htm

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2009 - 04:28 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

The ports for speakers, mic, etc: WHERE on the back of the tower are they located?
Toward the top, in the middle, or at the bottom?
Top/middle will be on-board sound.
The bottom will be the sound card, as that is where expansion slots are located.

IF you do have a sound card, you'll obviously see 2 sets of ports.

Another thing you can do is open device manager. Is there a category for Unknown or Other? If there is, do you see anything related to a sound card or audio? Thats' where it will sit until drivers for the device are installed.

#6 Blue Coconut

Blue Coconut

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

As i started my itunes i noticed the play bar was not moving and began to check my audio settings

Good afternoon.

1. Could you tell us your operating system.
2. Do you have external speakers hooked up to your system, what type of wires come out of the back of the speakers, make sure they are plugged into the proper inputs.
3. Did you have any sound before this problem. (not including the PC speaker)

You may go here ---> BelArc Advisor Once at the site click on the download link and save to your desktop. I have been using this since 2000.

....after you run the scan look for "multimedia" heading, normally on the second page, it should show the you the name of the audio card your using. If you have a printer hooked up, print the page for your records.

If when looking at the "multimedia" section and you don't understand what your looking at just post the information from the multimedia section here and we can get a better idea what you have installed.
Ever tried landing a city block? Its a rush one cannot describe.

#7 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

the operating system is windows xp home...the sound jacks r in the middle right above the usb ports...the wiring is a 2:1 running into my audio receiver with multiple speakers in the room...like i said this was a hand me down with a windows install...barely know what i'm doing

#8 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

i'm guessing once its open just kinda line up where the jacks r and right there i should find the sound card..i'll give it a shot and reply...thanks for the info

#9 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

checking the belarc site now...thanks guys

#10 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

under multimedia in belarc it says none detected...kinda what i thought...any suggestions

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

In the middle, above the usb ports is on-board sound.
So it appears you don't have a sound card.

#12 AngellettiNJ

AngellettiNJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

??? well i ran that belarc diagnostic test and in multimedia it said none detected!!
totaly lost at this point.
any ideas??
i might just take the soundcard out of my old comp and install it here but have no clue what i'm doing!!
sure i could fig it out...just want to keep it as my last resort

#13 Bochulain

Bochulain

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

If Belarc didn't see it, the hardware is being missed by the operating system. The drivers and suchlike are not an issue; the system doesn't see what it wants to work with. I ran into a similar issue, and here's what else I've heard to check out:

1. If it's an embedded sound chip, make sure it's enabled in the BIOS. If it's a sound card, make sure the embedded one is disabled in the BIOS (sometimes the embedded takes precedence.)

2. Is this a clean install, or a swapped drive? If swapped, abandon hope. That's where I'm stuck, and I had to do a repair to get the sound card recognized. Also just posted a thread about that, and feel guilty because I see you've beat me to it.

3. Don't throw out the possibility that the card/embedded chip is dead. It might be, and the device manager won't see it no matter what. It's afraid of corpses.

If you do install the card from another machine, I'm sure your system will see it and you'll have little difficulty working with it. Feel free to yell at us if it gives you trouble though.

Edited by Bochulain, 29 January 2009 - 02:56 PM.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

It's not as intimidating as you think it might be to open the case to work inside it. I was terrified the first time I installed a hard drive or a sound or video card. My motive was I'm to cheap to pay someone else to do it, so I decided it was up to me. Since nothing is showing up for multimedia, I agree it could be dead.
In that case, a sound card is the alternative.
Just make sure you push it straight in, and that it is firmly seated into the slot.
BEFORE WORKING INSIDE THE CASE, UNPLUG THE COMPUTER FROM THE POWER SLOT. TRY TO AVOID STANDING ON CARPET WHILE WORKING INSIDE THE CASE-THIS CAN CAUSE STATIC ELECTRICITY. ALSO, TOUCH THE METAL CASE IN ORDER TO DISCHARGE ANY STATIC ELECTRICITY BEFORE HANDLING THE INNARDS.
Screw it down, put the side of the case back on, connect to power source, fire up the computer, install drivers for the card.
Oh, and make a note of the card name/model number BEFORE you insert it-in case you have any issues it may be helpful to have that info.

PS-while you have the case open, look to see how dusty it is inside. Clean it if it needs it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_3664_clean-computers-insides.html

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

The audio is integrated (onboard), the best suggestion so far was to make sure that it is enabled in the BIOS, I would check this out. This model of Dell can be used for either a desktop or server, and if it was used for a server it may never have had the audio enabled. Depending on which application this was set up for from Dell it will have one of two sets of BIOS, did Belarc show the make and version of the BIOS?

Edited by dc3, 30 January 2009 - 01:40 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users