Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Addition of 3rd hard drive causing XP BSOD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smackdab

smackdab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

Well, I ran into a strange problem today. It is BSOD stop 0x000000A5, "BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant" related.

Background: I am running an A8N32-SLI deluxe mobo with BIOS version 14.09, a x2 4400+ processor and 2GB of RAM. I have 2 seagate 320GB SATA hard drives, one with XP pro and one with Vista ultimate installed. This is all powered by an Antec 550W power supply and displayed through an EVGA 8800GT. The rig runs very smoothly.

Today I picked up a seagate 500GB SATA hard drive (firmware up to date), installed it into my rig and loaded up Windows 7 (64 bit). The install went well and windows 7 is up and running.

When I went back to check my other OS's, I encountered a problem. I could boot into Vista with no issue but when I tried booting into XP I encountered a blue screen of death. I found that if the 500GB drive or the drive with Vista is disconnected, XP boots fine. Having all 3 drives connected triggers the BSOD.

I tried switching the drives between the 4 SATA ports but no combination would make XP work with 3 drives connected. Vista and Windows 7 worked in all combinations.

In the short term I have disconnected the drive with Windows 7 since I use XP more often.

By the way, I use F8 at boot and select which drive/OS I want to start.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

What MS says: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314830/

I suggest paying particular attention to the section under More Information.

FWIW: I just installed Windows 7 last night on a SATA drive, dual-booting with XP Home (on different drive)...no problems at all, Windows 7 bootloader appears when I first boot and I choose which O/S I want access to. I have 3 hard drives connected (2 PATA, 1 SATA) and 1 optical.

Louis

#3 smackdab

smackdab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

Well, here is a strange fix.

I had read that installing a USB flash drive before boot would get XP past the BSOD. I was sceptical but gave it a go. I inserted an 8GB USB drive, connected all 3 SATA drives and booted into XP. To my surprise there was no BSOD and everything worked fine.

I had read that the USB drive needed to be over 2GB for this trick to work. I shut down, swapped a 512 MB USB drive for the 8 GB drive and tried again. I ran into the BSOD when I tried to boot XP. I put the 8GB drive back in and XP booted with no problems.

I am fortunate to have an empty USB slot and a cheap 8GB drive I can leave stuck in the back of the machine until a better solution comes along.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Nice going, sir...strange solution, but it's a strange problem (IMO) and merits a unique solution :thumbsup:.

Happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users