Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using remote desktop from XP to a 2000 computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JCII

JCII

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hi, I use a windows XP laptop and a windows 2000 desktop. Trying to use the XP laptop to go into my windows 2000 remotely. I can use the 2000 machine to go into my XP computer no problem. i have been checking the Microsoft web pages and I downloaded the program. It works fine going from my windows 2000 computer I can open up my XP laptop remotely with my user name and pw. Going the other way from the XP laptop it will not open up the windows 2000 desktop machne remotely. Is it possible to do this.

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

How are you trying to access the W2k from XP, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection?

Have you see this article, Get started using Remote Desktop with Windows XP Professional?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JCII

JCII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi yes I saw that article and followed all the instructions. When I am at the XP laptop and go to remote desk top . I type in the user name and password of the Desktop 2000 computer and I get this message..........Remote Desktop disconnected this computer can't connect to the remote computer. Get the same using the IP address. However the function remote desk top works fine the other way connecting from the desktop to the laptop. Trying to see if there is a setting to turn on in windows 2000 to allow remote access like there is on the XP computer but I do not see any place where that is.

Jeff

#4 RobertFranz

RobertFranz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

Configuring Win2k for Remote Access

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users