Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

some mice not working over ps/2 extension cable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pboak81

pboak81

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

We have 50 foot ps/2 extension cables that connect the mice at a couple of terminals back to the computer tower in another room. For some reason certain mice wonít work over the extension cable. I know the cable is fine because Iíve tried another one with the same results. I know the mice are fine because I can plug them directly into the same computer at the tower and they work fine. For some reason some of them, and it seems to be the cheaper optical mice, wonít work over an extension cable. Just curious if anyone else has had issues with some mice not working in this way?

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hi pboak81, welcome to BC.
That's a pretty fair distance for a signal to travel on a ps2 cable even though they are available up to 100 ft. I think you've already answered your own question though.
Any ps2 cable over 25 ft will suffer signal degredation. Any farther and your cable needs to be a triple shielded one.
If you are already using a triple shielded extension, it's the problem mice that are weak and are most likely the problem themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users